Urgent advice needed on my clutch

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Urgent advice needed on my clutch

Post by lozz »

Matty,
if you floor the car in 5th does the revs go right up
Any clutch judder ?

Dont let the Garages fleece you, how did they come to the conclusion that you need a new clutch?

£690 was they Wearing a Mask. :shock:
mattyf
1.8 16v

Post by mattyf »

Quick update time,

Well tried bleeding it again with the master cylinder in the air, no difference so I'm guessing there’s no air in it. :(
Been to two more garages to confirm it is the clutch and the prices seems to vary from place to place from £300 - £700. :?
All the garages look to see how many hours it takes (according to their book) and apparently it takes 8 garage hours?? Does that sound right??
Another funny thing I got a quote from Mr Clutch (Who I have heard mixed reviews) for £275 (thought bargain), then I rang up to book it and the quote got raised to £350??

How long do you recon a novice like me take replacing this clutch by myself?? :oops:
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

mattyf wrote:Quick update time,

Well tried bleeding it again with the master cylinder in the air, no difference so I'm guessing there’s no air in it. :(
Been to two more garages to confirm it is the clutch and the prices seems to vary from place to place from £300 - £700. :?
All the garages look to see how many hours it takes (according to their book) and apparently it takes 8 garage hours?? Does that sound right??
Another funny thing I got a quote from Mr Clutch (Who I have heard mixed reviews) for £275 (thought bargain), then I rang up to book it and the quote got raised to £350??

How long do you recon a novice like me take replacing this clutch by myself?? :oops:
Hi mate,
if your a novice on clutches, allow your self 2 days,
You need a scizzor jack, and a Trolley jack Not a small one,

and decent socket set,
if you havent got access to the above tools iwouidnt tackle it,
good luck mate,

if your local to manchester give us a shout and il lend a hand :roll:
mattyf
1.8 16v

Post by mattyf »

Just a quick post to update....

Well I booked Friday off work and so it decided to piss it down where I live ..... had everything ready for the change!!

So I rang my mates dad to see if he could squeeze me in and he said yeah, so dropped it off at 9.30am that morning and had a phone call 2.30pm top say it was ready to pick up ... that man is a legend 8) !!

Had a quick look at the old clutch that came off and OMG :shock: it was F**ked ... don’t know how I could of got it to gear for as long as I did.

Anyways £300 lighter than I started but now she has a new clutch, pulled away from the garage that day and stalled!! :oops: Lol

Thanks peps for the advice with this!!

Lozz
Thanks for the offer mate but it would of been a bit of a drive as I live down south (Bournemouth / Southampton area) lol