Fault Code List - Please help

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

mattyf
1.8 16v

Fault Code List - Please help

Post by mattyf »

Hey all

I've just got a ODBII scanner because I was sick of limp mode and checked my car over and here are the results.

P0380 Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" Malfunction
P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0230 Fuel Pump Primary Circuit Malfunction

The codes wouldn't clear, it kept saying permanent fault.
I have searched a few solutions but is seems strange that all three would go? I have also read that the P0380 is quite common and can be ignored.

Any ideas welcome.

Many thanks,

Matt
mattyf
1.8 16v

Re: Fault Code List - Please help

Post by mattyf »

Sorry also in addition I had a strange fault code P00CC which was unknown.

I have just goggled it and apparently it translates into P0204 Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder 4.

Would anyone suggest a leak off test or something else that may help diagnose these errors.
mattyf
1.8 16v

Post by mattyf »

Anyone :( ?? If I've posted this in the wrong section please could a moderator move it please?
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Not sure I can offer any meaningful advice, but FWIW......

I agree the glowplug message is common and can probably be ignored, (assuming it starts, that is)! You should bear it in mind though, because it may be a symptom of something else, (like a bad earth or one of the many supplies missing).

The fuel rail pressure and fuel pump problems may have originated from simply running out of fuel or similar, but should clear if that's the case.

I did once disconnect and injector on mine and got an immediate 'ANTIPOLLUTION FAULT' and a 'Permanent Fault Injector open circuit' logged on the ECU. It cleared as soon as the connection was re-established.

I've only ever used PP2000 to diagnose / clear faults and thought they were about the only thing that would do this properly on HDi's, (as they're not fully OBD2 compliant). To clear a fault with Planet, you have to go through a sequence where you request clearance and it directs you to turn the ignition off then back on before it will actually do it - does your OBDII reader do this?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
mattyf
1.8 16v

Post by mattyf »

Thats a good start, thanks. Has anyone on here ever solved the Glow Plug problem?

Well I haven't run out of fuel before, maybe the previous owner did ... not really sure. I've read on the that if I were to disconnect the sensor the car should run rough or if theres no change it's a doggey sensor? Is that about right, if so I'll try it on the drive home tonight.

The scanner was bought from ebay, nothing fancy (not expensive), couldn't afford a PP2000 :oops: . No it dosen't request clearance, I just hit clear faults (and belive me there were a few) and it left me with these above.

Just had a look at the injectors and one connection was loose, maybe where I changed the glow plugs. Just scanned it again and now I have just the P0380 Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" Malfunction & P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

two down and two to go! :cheesy: