1997/98 406 2.1td wont start on first turn but will on 2nd?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

ceet12

1997/98 406 2.1td wont start on first turn but will on 2nd?

Post by ceet12 »

Hello all

got quite a puzzling question and problem here, cars a 1997/8 R reg 2.1td diesel 12 valave

went out the other evening in the snow and the roads hadnt been gritted, im always paranoid about water getting in the electrics in these conditions as noticed underneath the car there seems to be no splash guard? weather these were fitted to the 406 im not sure?, if it was i imagine the previous owner has probably removed it due to a speed bump etc, as thats happende to me before on several cars, so i was cautious about going out the other evening but had to go doctors as an emergency so i had no choice

since then ive encountered a problem

On first turn over of the car today it would not start, kept turning and turning didnt seem to want to start atall, a couple more try's and i think on the third time time it started first time (on 3rd attempt)!

i went out for a drive in the car till the engine was warm, tunred the engine off and it turned back on fine, i came home turned the engine of tried to turn the engine over again and it wouldnt start again, like it didnt want to even try, i turned ignition off and tried a second time, and again it started first time (on second attempt)??

ive since tried again while the engine was still warm and it did it again, didnt go first time, but on turning ignnition off and turning back on it started fine again on the second time?

i recently changed the glow plugs in december, and since then it started perfectly every time till this morning, maybe im paranoid but i was convinced maybe water has got in the electrics and affected this, i could be way of the mark here?

does anyone have any insight or any clue to waht this could be?

id really appreciate any help atall!

thanks
midsmike
3.0 24v

Re: 1997/98 406 2.1td wont start on first turn but will on 2

Post by midsmike »

Hi mate I have a 2.1 and my last car was a 2.1 they do come with a splash guard but I took them off both of mine I always drive in puddles with no problem so I wouldn't say its water when u say it won't start first time do u let the glow plug light go out
1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td executive saloon silver,d9 mods 18" dare v2 alloys In Phase XTC 6.5″ 240W Component Speakers up front and Vibe Slick 6x9 Three Way Speakers - Slick 693 in the rear runing off a Alpine MRV-F307 V12 Series amp and a vibe cbr 12 twin evo sub in the boot. 1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td lx saloon red
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Might be an issue with the immobiliser?

406s didn't all come with undertrays, neither of mine did, they come with a small panel under the radiator and that's it.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
ceet12

Post by ceet12 »

@hi midsmike, thanks for the reply mate, thanks for the advice on the undertray, yes mate i let the light go out, but it wont crank on second turn it does???

@ steve, thanks again for the reply unfortunately it looks like the small panel may have been removed, there is a piece of plastic under the radiator but i was inspecting this this morning and there are two rusty bolt holes on the left and right side with nothing connected, thus made me think of a splash guard, ill upload a photo tommorrow when its lighter.

im thinking maybe the imobliser, my brother came over today and it cranked first time on several occasions making me look silly! so the problem is certainly intermittent.?

my brothers friend runs a garage but catching him can be difficult, as hes busy a lot, if i get him to plug diagnostics in, would i be presented with a fault code you think for this problem>?

any help greatly appreciated

kind regards
madmadmax
2.0 Turbo

Post by madmadmax »

as it's an older engine it mite not have an ecu that will be able to give a fault code or mite he not be able to plug in to it
KrisB
1.8 8v

Post by KrisB »

Glowplugs :)

Try lighting up the glowplug light two or three times before you start. Guarantee it :)

Edit... you tried glowplugs. What brand were they? Bosch Duraterms are the winners always and i wouldnt expect any others to last as long. If it's not your glowplugs then you may have air getting into the fuel system. Try replacing your fuel filter and injector leakoff pipes.