Air doser / intercooler cleaning.

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Air doser / intercooler cleaning.

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I did check the small pipe to the MAP and looks good, maybe put a jubilee round it if I replace the intercooler.

I didnt realise dosers could leak, perhaps replace this too, maybe a set of nikopipes is the next move after all - I just don't want it to be the one that breaks the camels back as reliabiity is most important....

I saw Al's guide to fit the pipes, it looks straightforward but things normally go tits-up when I try it..

Eric, I don't mind if it is the intercooler etc, glad the donor stuff is being used but there is a limit to how many spares I can keep!
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

oldskoolskool wrote:going by your 'bubbling comment' it sounds like you have a leak in the intercooler, so if you have the chance of getting another go for it.

Also the air-dossers always seem to leak on higher mileage cars (if oil can get out air definitely can) so Nicowico pipes are a worth while investment if only to keep oil of the block (they only reduce the inlet air temperature slightly at set points so would not have an impact on the head gasket, egr blanking and re-map's are the highest risk modifications to the head gasket as they would raise the combustion temperature significantly).

also when cleaning the hoses/intercooler you should inspect the small hose that runs from the intercooler to the map sensor as it is exposed to this oil and deteriorates causing it to 'ballon under pressure, and leak slightly (you will probably find that end of the interccoler covered in oil too).
Oldskool, are you going to post some pic's of your motor 8) , sounds sweet.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
oldskoolskool
1.8 16v

Post by oldskoolskool »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote: Oldskool, are you going to post some pic's of your motor 8) , sounds sweet.
unfortunately it's a 10 foot car, up close it looks like a 406 coupe version of this

2003 - Aegean Blue - 2.2L HDi - S

Nicowico pipes, de-fapped, de-egr, K&N, pipecraft stainless exhaust, Re-map, paddle clutch & SMF, Nakamichi cd400, 5000k hid's & led's

Styled by piniferina, modified with shopping trolleys and car doors.
crackpotterpig
1.8 16v

Post by crackpotterpig »

unless its smoking alot I wouldnt worry about the oil residue in the pipes and intercooler as this always happens on higher mileage cars, its partially from the air doser, breather system and a slight leak from the turbo oil seals.
as already said if its blowing bubbles that suggests a leaking intercooler, replace the intercooler and dont worry too much about the oil residue.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Well, during my lunch hour today I thought I would tackle replacing my intercooler.
I removed the pipes, removed the grill and partly removed the slam panel to clear the intercooler. I removed the MAP sensor and the airbox too to give me some room. After some wriggling the intercooler came out and my replacement one went in. It didn't fit at first because the locating pins are slightly further apart, which was remedied with a large pair of pliers.
Put the new one in place, attached and tightened the bottom hose and then....BOLLOCKS!!! The replacement was 2" taller and wouldn't fit.... :evil:
I then had to fart about putting the old one back in and then reassemble everything I took off, to get the car working again before my hour was up, which I managed ( just ).

I too am looking for a 406 intercooler - one from an 807 doesn't fit even though it look identical in the pictures.... :oops:

Have just ordered some Nico pipes too......
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Ginger,
I have just noticed that I to have bubbling intercooler sydrome :roll: , whilest running the car up after my unplaned de-cat :evil:. But to be honist I noticed the oil on the bottom corner when veiwing the car & thought it must have a leaky intercooler, now I know it has :roll: .
From what I have seen advertised on ebay it looks like it must be a common prob, if you look close in most pic's they seem to have oil on the bottom on the inside face :( ,
So for now I am going to pop mine off & look at dismanteling it & re-sealing it & re-crimping it, & making myself a custom job in the new year I will post pic's :) .
B.T.W how the F**K do I post pic's that are there for all to see not needing downloading as all my other post's. ( I'm better with my hand's than computer's :oops: )
Last edited by dirtydirtydiesel on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I think most of us use Photobucket* but the way to do it using the board's own hosting seems to be upload the link, then preview and open the picture in another tab (right click it, open in new tab,) then right click on the pic, copy link location, back to your post and paste it in between [img][/img] tags. Blimey, it's quicker to do it than to write it :frown:

*I'm reconsidering Photobucket, I installed a plug-in into Firefox called Ghostery which shows all the tracking cookies etc. a site is trying to foist onto us and displays them as a list (the 406oc just has 2 - google bullshit and double dick). When I go onto Photobucket there's not enough room on the page to display them all :evil:

Good luck with the i/c :cheesy:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Lots of intercoolers om fleabay have some residue around the bottom, seems it is either a weak spot or just something to do with airflow around the engine bay and where the vapour settles..??

Mine is swimming in oil so something is amiss, but a bit of darkness around the base seems normal.

For pictures, I just click on the ' uploadattachment ' tab under the box where you reply, browse for the picture, upload it then click on ' insert ' or something....
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hold on, I'll give that a try...
Uploaded....
"Place inline"...
taurus.jpg
Ah, that's no good :frown:
Preview...
Right click - open in new tag...
Copy location...
Paste...
Image tags...
Dah-dahhh :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

GingerMagic wrote:Lots of intercoolers om fleabay have some residue around the bottom, seems it is either a weak spot or just something to do with airflow around the engine bay and where the vapour settles..??

Mine is swimming in oil so something is amiss, but a bit of darkness around the base seems normal.

For pictures, I just click on the ' uploadattachment ' tab under the box where you reply, browse for the picture, upload it then click on ' insert ' or something....

Sorry to hear your having all this trouble.
I hope you sort it soon, I will still keep my eye open for an intercooler.. :)
Best of luck GM.
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Thanks, I will make an effort to try to visit some scrapyards this week during my lunch hour, if I can park the lorry close enough.......
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Well I bought an intercooler from ebay for the pricely sum of £1.04 - it even came with the MAP sensor... :wink:

Has it fixed the car? Its a bit early to tell but maybe it is a little better - the Nicopipes ( when they turn up ) should eliminate the other leaky pipes so that will be the proof if it was/is a boost leak.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

£ 1.04 :shock:

Nice one Kelv. Any chance of you buying me a gear lever knob? :P

Be interested to hear if it or the Nico pipes make a difference, hope you get a result.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

GingerMagic wrote:Well I bought an intercooler from ebay for the pricely sum of £1.04 - it even came with the MAP sensor... :wink:

Has it fixed the car? Its a bit early to tell but maybe it is a little better - the Nicopipes ( when they turn up ) should eliminate the other leaky pipes so that will be the proof if it was/is a boost leak.
:mrgreen: Result :!: :mrgreen:

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Just bought some replacement bottom intercooler pipes from eBay too, ( £10 + p+p ) and this will be a temporary fix until I get the Nico pipes sorted.
Watch this space....