Offside knock & a moan

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

michaeljclark
1.8 16v

Offside knock & a moan

Post by michaeljclark »

Earlier today the car went for a service and an MOT

Whilst it was being serviced, I requested that they sort out the "knock" that I had whilst under acceleration and changing gear, and also to look at the "low" squat on the off side rear

I got the car back tonight (I picked it up after they were closed)

The car no longer squats down and having spoken to the manager on the phone (before I picked it up), he said they replaced a "stabiliser rod" and something or other "ball" (I can't remember exaclty sorry folks) at the

So thats good

But I've still got the knock :evil:

I've had the bonnet up and gived the engine a good shake, pull and pushed down on it. When I push down on the engine I get the knock, from i think near the front suspension. Now the car passed it's MOT (after apparently a couple of goes) so I assume it can't be suspension, so I'm thinking engine mounts? (which I had go on my 405)

Any thoughts please? I'm going back tomorrow to pick up my MOT certificate and spare key and am wondering if my request of "sort out the knock" hasn't really been looked at. It doesn't help that they tell me it required an "engine flush" to pass the "fast idle" emissons test on the MOT and that "we had to give it a good run to get the engine hot" A good run seems to have been 0.8 of a mile - I dropped the 406 off with 440.0 miles on the trip and she came back with 440.8 - that must have been some run!!!!

Thoughts please anyone

cheers

Mike
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Re: Offside knock & a moan

Post by Captain Jack »

Hm, do you get the knocking when going over bumps? Could be as simple as anti-roll bars (something I need replacing on mine). Engine mounts is also quite plausible. Wait for mjb to come back... I know he and several other people have had theirs done.
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
michaeljclark
1.8 16v

Post by michaeljclark »

Pull away from stationary "knock" (varies with intensity)

Change gear when accelerating hard (or a "kangaroo" change like a learner driver) "knock"

Yes occasionally it happens over humps (but less so since the work on the suspension was done)

Doesn't happen under braking (that I'm aware of at any rate)

Going back tomorrow for my MOT cert and spare key - might have a word then - will post a fill inventory of work for the experts when I get it

Cheers

Mike
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

My engine mount problem caused a vibrating rather than a knock. If revving/physically shaking by the hand the engine doesn't cause the knock, then i'd find a big bloke (if you're not one) and have him work the front suspension

Can you feel the knock through the gearstick/pedals/steering?

Try accelerating to a good speed, in neutral, then jab at the brake to bounce the front
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
michaeljclark
1.8 16v

Post by michaeljclark »

mjb wrote:big bloke
aye I am at 6' 7" and 19 stone
mjb wrote:Can you feel the knock through the gearstick/pedals/steering?
Nope can't feel it
mjb wrote:Try accelerating to a good speed, in neutral, then jab at the brake to bounce the front
Nope doesn't do it then, nor if I rev the engine in neutral, it only seems to happen when the engine is under load (ie pull away from the lights) or when I'm changing gear (when I put my foot on the clutch it knocks then I change gear and release the clutch it knocks again)

I feel a trip to the mail stealer coming along
DannyBoy
1.8 8v

Post by DannyBoy »

Have you checked your CV joints?
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

Sounds like top engine mount to me, it's easy enough to change, I fitted a second hand one (after my LX was written off I had all the good bits for the tubby! :cheesy: )
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
michaeljclark
1.8 16v

Post by michaeljclark »

teamster1975 wrote:Sounds like top engine mount to me, it's easy enough to change
Errm how easy is easy on a haynes 1-5 spanner? (changing wheels and taking the dash out to change bulbs I can do) engine mount sounds as if I should know what I should be doing and requires some serious tools

For extra info: With the hand brake applied (the car is stationary, not attempting a hand brake turn or anything :cheesy: ), placing the car in 1st and bringing the clutch to biting point also results in the knock

Mike
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Deffo sounds like engine mount to me too....

To be sure, park on level ground, stick it in gear and release the handbrake, open the bonnet, rock the car forward and backward, you'll see the engine move on the mounts, and if the mount is shot I'm sure you'll hear / see it knocking too.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

michaeljclark wrote:For extra info: With the hand brake applied (the car is stationary, not attempting a hand brake turn or anything :cheesy: ), placing the car in 1st and bringing the clutch to biting point also results in the knock
What, you mean your handbrake actually works? :shock: :cheesy:

I'm note if it's possible to see it but you could try that with the bonnet open and watch the engine wobbling about*. Or do Dai's in gear thing, it sounds safer. How hard it is will depend on which mounting it is, it might be as easy as jacking the lump up on a block of wood and undoing the bolts, it might be a cow though.

*Blah blah blah did this on my first Avenger automatic, every now and then it'd make a horrible noise and eat the fanbelt, one day I stuck it in drive with the handbrake on, my foot on the footbrake and the bonnet open. Then I hoofed it and the engine rose off the broken mount, comming up about 6 inches, it was grinding off the fanbelt on the electric fan bracket.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
michaeljclark
1.8 16v

Post by michaeljclark »

DaiRees wrote:Deffo sounds like engine mount to me too....

To be sure, park on level ground, stick it in gear and release the handbrake, open the bonnet, rock the car forward and backward, you'll see the engine move on the mounts, and if the mount is shot I'm sure you'll hear / see it knocking too.
When I get home on Friday (staying in town at the mo) I'll do the above and see what happens!!! I assume a little movement is OK, but not shedloads?
steve_earwig wrote:What, you mean your handbrake actually works? :shock: :cheesy:
Yes just about :cheesy: , and you've reminded me that that's another job the garage forgot to do......

Thanks for all the replies chaps!

Mike
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I'm always surprised how much it moves, but I think it'll be pretty apparent if one of the mounts is knackered.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

DaiRees wrote:I'm always surprised how much it moves, but I think it'll be pretty apparent if one of the mounts is knackered.
Mine wasn't - even got someone to nearly run me over while i was in front of the car looking under the bonnet. I didn't get a 'knock' either, just a grinding under acceleration accompanied by juddering through the wheel+pedals. Only worked out it was the mount through replacing it
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

michaeljclark wrote:
teamster1975 wrote:Sounds like top engine mount to me, it's easy enough to change
Errm how easy is easy on a haynes 1-5 spanner? (changing wheels and taking the dash out to change bulbs I can do) engine mount sounds as if I should know what I should be doing and requires some serious tools
Mike
2 spanner :wink:
It's literally a case of unbolt & swap.
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"