FRONT SUBFRAME BUSHES

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

marco2002
2.0 Turbo

FRONT SUBFRAME BUSHES

Post by marco2002 »

Hi All

Car went into garage today to get bottom pulley and belt done. Sounds much better now. No more clatter. While they were doing them i got them
to check the engine mounts as the flexijoint went on the car. New one fitted last week. Anyway they found the front subframe bushes perished.

Garage boss suggested powerflex bushes instead of the normal pug ones. Just had a quick look online and unfortunately powerflex don't make front subframe bushes. Anyone know of any other polyurethane bushes i could use or had possible had something similar fitted? The garage seemed to think this type of bush lasts longer and is easier to fit? They quoted about 3 hrs labour maximum @ £63. an hr inc vat.

Any help or advice appreciated

Thanks
Peugeot 406 Hdi Gtx 110 213,000 miles
No More Jobs to do - Having a break from car repairs.....
mjb
Site Admin

Re: FRONT SUBFRAME BUSHES

Post by mjb »

If you're talking about a component that's worn out after 10 years or so, I don't think "lasting longer" is really an issue :lol:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
marco2002
2.0 Turbo

Post by marco2002 »

Thanks for the advice not much help though is it? I'm not really a fan of arrogant remarks! The remark about "lasting longer" was wrong because it was not my words. If you the took the trouble to read the post properly you would know this?

If anyone else has any sensible ideas i would appreciate it.

Thanks
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

so how long do you want them to last? :cheesy: :cheesy:
robb
2.0 Turbo

Post by robb »

£63 per hour is that a main dealers garage? :shock:
1997 406 2.0 petrol estate lx..D8.............OH dear where does this nut go?
marco2002
2.0 Turbo

Post by marco2002 »

Another 10 years would be good. No seriously 175,000 on one set of bushes is pretty good going.

The £63 an hour is a local garage here in Dorset they are quite dear here but at least they do a good job and i can always trust them.
London is more expensive though some garages charge upto £100 an hour. I lived there for 32 yrs, have to say i don't miss the smoke much.....
StevieboyTD
3.0 24v

Post by StevieboyTD »

marco2002 wrote:Thanks for the advice not much help though is it? I'm not really a fan of arrogant remarks! The remark about "lasting longer" was wrong because it was not my words. If you the took the trouble to read the post properly you would know this?

Thanks
Arrogant remarks? wtf? Are you a ray of f*cking sunshine! :mrgreen:
2.1td exec estate.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

marco2002 wrote:Thanks for the advice not much help though is it? I'm not really a fan of arrogant remarks! The remark about "lasting longer" was wrong because it was not my words. If you the took the trouble to read the post properly you would know this?

Here's a hint: getting arsey at site regulars is not the best way to solicit help, especially if a quick browse through your posts would appear to show you've never actually bothered to offer any yourself :roll:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
marco2002
2.0 Turbo

Post by marco2002 »

I'm quite happy to take a bit of constructive criticism from other people but can others say the same? if i've offended anyone i am truly sorry.
I think i'll leave things where they are........

Thanks
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

Calm down for gawd sake! I don't think anyone meant anything offensive, it's yet another case of the written word being misconstrued!
Happy days :wink:

I'd fit the oem bushes myself!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I gather it's hard enough finding urethane bushes for the suspension (unlike BMWs for which you can get the whole car including trophy bride made out of the stuff :P )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
JonL
1.8 16v

Post by JonL »

In my, albeit limited, experience if you are not intending to thrash the car (ie very hard driving or track days) then the oem bushes are normally best. They tend to give a nice comfortable compliant ride and, as you found, do tend to last quite a long time. Polyurethane bushes are great at removing any play (compliance) in the suspension but that does tend to make the ride hasher and add some noise to the whole experience.

I have polyurethane bushes in the Golf GTi track car but would not think about fitting them to the daily runner 406.

Just my tuppence worth..
marco2002
2.0 Turbo

Post by marco2002 »

OEM bushes it is then. No luck finding anyone who does the polyurethane bushes.Quick phone call to local Pug dealer and a complete set cost £53.67 inc vat.
Parts Bloke said he's never sold a set of these yet and he's worked there for a few years, he wasn't sure how many come in a set!
Quite pleased with the price anyway.....

Thanks
briangoo
2.0 16v

Post by briangoo »

Hi did you get this problem sorted as I think my subframe bushes are knackered also when I start or stop the engine I get a loud bang which i'm putting down to this I think
2.0hdi lx 51 plate 90bhp chassis no.VF38BRHYF81371125
pug406nz
1.8 16v

Post by pug406nz »

If anyone wants any poly bushes, they would have to be custom made. Talk to a guy called Bobby on the Coupe Club, he gets them made up.