Rear suspension knock

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

JJSH
1.8 8v

Rear suspension knock

Post by JJSH »

My 406 has the dreaded rear suspension 'knocking' when I go over bumps. I had assumed that this was the rear bushes, which I understand is a common fault on motors of my aprox mileage (108000). However, recently I had occasion to do a long journey with the boot fairly loaded ( about 120 kg) , and the knocking stopped, and the car almost appeared to handle better. Does this indicate anything useful, such as I should start by replacing the shocks, or something? Or does it tell me nothing? Any advice would be welcome. :cheesy:
JJSH
1.8 8v

Post by JJSH »

Forgot to say - that car went through an MOT when I got her, and has knocked since I've had her, don't know if that helps.
MaDc0w
2.0 16v

Post by MaDc0w »

Sounds like the rear stabilizers. Just changed mine and the knocking stopped once again.
Welton wrote:Couldn't help it........... at first it was the picture of the 2 tone grey 406........and then later the monitor just got sprayed
406OC Image Support
dylann

Post by dylann »

I have the same problem on my 2.1 turbo. It passed the MOT with this problem and seems not to affect the handling but I agree it disappears when boot is loaded and after some research, I believe it is one of the nounting bushes on the rear suspension sub frame. I have not yet summoned up courage to try a replacement as I suspect the whole rear suspension may have to come off. But then perhaps not!
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Had a 'thudding' noise on my old 306 D Turbo, put up with it for years, gradually getting worse, until a mechanic found it to be the rear axle bushes. Only visible when he took the exhaust off.

Don't know if the setup on a 406 is similar,

Neil
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
csd1_uk
1.8 8v

Post by csd1_uk »

may be slightly late, but i had this problem as well, i fixed mime by replacing the rear stabilser arms. is a home job but must make aure you mark the inner part of the rod when it is removed as it sits on a cam to adjust the alignment of the rear wheel.

This can easily be scracthed onto the cam and frame of car.

Although i will say with this problem it will fail the MOT as it is something they check front and rear, so perhaps you might be right in saying its the other bushes.
Due to Recent Cutbacks, The Light at The End of The Tunnel Has Been Switched Off!