Ball Joints

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

mjb
Site Admin

Ball Joints

Post by mjb »

Looks like the upside-down (who designed this?) ball joint on my throttle linkage has corroded which has resulted in it falling off after every 100 yards. Now, I've turned the linkage around so the bad cup is on the vertical link, but I could do with a little more secure fix until I can get the part ordered.

Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of right now is to sandwich a bit of paper between the ball and cup, but I dunno if this would cause too much friction...

Any quick ideas would be appreciated - 60 miles is a bit far to drive home with the engine stuck idling (providing of course i can get it out of the underground carpark!) :)
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I have thought about the screw method, but there's no easy way to get a drill at the ball (damn messy 2.0 turbo with crap everywhere ;) ). I actually botched it using a bit of card from a fag packet which has made the accelerator right spongey but it's gotten me home at least.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Went to the garage today - the first time I've managed to catch them open after 5 (they're supposed to shut at 5:30) and got a quote on the linkage.

?70+vat!!!!

Damn thing comes only as part of the the throttle assembly!

So that's ?20 for a guide pin and now ?82 for a couple of ball joint cups connected by a small threaded bar. Bloody ripoff merchants!

Can't see any way of holding it on using zip ties due to the fact there's nothing to tie it to which means i'm just going to have to leave the fag packet botch in place and not stray too far from the side of the road until I can find a breakers yard with a P8 2.0 Turbo :/
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

I might have a spare one in the shed, as it turns out I have a spare complete inlet manifold with injectors.....lol

i'll look in the morning for you....

This happened to me once @ West midlands Safari park- right in the dangerous paddock where your windows have to remain shut....lol I had to call the park office to get someone out to move the animals so I could fix it ! !

The sign says beep horn if in trouble, I wasn't about to beep my horn with a family of water buffalo right next to the car lol
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

If you have, I'll love you forever mate :)

Don't blame you for not beeping. The 406 is a big car, but it's no match for buffalo!

I'm off down to an airshow in Gloucestershire today, camping tonight too so lets see if my fag packet botch holds while I'm bouncing around the grassy areas
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Guys, if anyone's got any ideas about tightening up these joints I'd seriously like to hear them no matter how crazy - I ended up on the hard shoulder 5 times today (in 120 motorway miles) and it's just getting worse. I'm trying everything I can think of, unfortunately some of my hacks seem to be causing the throttle to stick open, which ain't much fun...