Air Con

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Juzza
1.8 16v

Air Con

Post by Juzza »

How long does the AC system last untill it needs to be regassed?
Mine works alright but when it's very hot outside it doesn't seem to work fantastically...
Had it regassed 2 years ago.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

In theory a refrigeration system should never need regassing!

Afterall, you never get your fridge at home regassed do you?

Unfortunately though a car's engine bay is a harsh environment for a refrigeration system and inevitably it will leak over time through vibration or corrosion from a pipework joint, a corroded pin-holed pipe or the condenser radiator.

As a general rule, especially on a 406 the Condenser is the most likely culprit of a leak as bits of leaves and dirt collect at the bottom edge of the condenser and rot it through. About 6 years is about the maximum life of a condenser coupled with the salty crappy roads we have in Winter.

If, say you bought a brand new car you would probably consider regassing the A/C at 4 years old just for maintenance sake, after then you will be into repairing leaks eventually so you don't really need to regass every 12 months as some (main dealers) recommend.

A friend of mine stored his 5 year old car for 2 and a half years and when he ran the A/C again it was absolutely fine - because it hadn't been leaking! (so much for running the A/C once a week eh?)

Try and check the temperature of the air from the face vents in the car, you should be looking at between 5 and 8 deg C after about 10 minutes. If it can't get down to those levels then it is low on gas and stuggling (sometimes coupled with increased compressor noise).

It is possible that you have a leak, don't always be tempted to go for a ?70.00 regass because you should prepair yourself that they will detect the leak and you will be faced with a repair (which will be ?300.00 if it's the condenser) if you are not in a position to pay up you will end up with no air con because they are not allowed to regass a leaky system.

A regass merchant will first recover the gas in your car to a vessel and vacumn the system to remove any moisture. Then he will pressure test the hole system with Nitrogen to about 200 - 250 PSi. Only if it holds the test will they charge the system with new Refrigerant.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

My bro tested mine for me, and after 5 years of owning it the system is flawless... and the car is 10 years old ! !

Temp test, the A/C got down to 6.9 degrees at about 7pm at night.. on a hot, very hot day like today was ! ! system pressure and levels are all ok, no leaks to report...

The only thing thats needed replacing is both electric cooling fans !
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

My AC was working overtime today as I was driving down from Falmouth. The outside temp gauge was reading 34 degrees and I was doing over 90mph most of the way (gotta love A30). But kept me relatively cool. Problem is that when accelerating with the AC on, it feels like your tyres are flat. But click it off and away you go... meh.... ramble ramble ramble...
Juzza
1.8 16v

Post by Juzza »

Yeah cracking weather down here today!!! Theres some nice bits on the a30.. be good when they finish it all!!! :cheesy:
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Yes those roadworks around Bodmin/Indian Queens are rather annoying. But other than that :)