LPG ?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

scottpsouth
1.8 8v

LPG ?

Post by scottpsouth »

Hi,

Anyone done and LPG conversion on a 2.0 16v?

Cheers

Scott
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

The Mechanic I use is starting to see a lot of 'issues' with petrols that have now been running on LPG for a few years and they come in with all sorts of problems (usually after failing MOT's on emissions on the petrol side).

They seem to run hotter and the Head & Valves seem to suffer worse and affects the emissions, poor running, oil consumption etc. seems that the fuel itself harms the engine over time due to it's combustion temperatures, just what I have been told, I suppose you are running an engine on a fuel it wasn't designed to run on.

Assuming you are bothered about Petrol costs/mileage have you thought about a HDi?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
scottpsouth
1.8 8v

Post by scottpsouth »

Well I'm not a mechanic but I think theres some misunderstanding there. LPG is technically supposed to be better for your engine - its a cleaner fuel... I imagine that the problems your mechanic is describing is due to the way that the LPG systems are used in the dual fuel context. AFAIK the engine management system will adapt to the LPG fuel and therefore run badly when it switches back to petrol (hence the emissions, poor running, etc etc etc) until it re-adapts. Perhaps that is what is causing the problems - well I may well be wrong.

Some cars have a switch which clears the ECU when you switch back to petrol but I guess it will take a while to re-learn a reasonable set up....

Yes I did think of an HDI but 1) I couldnt afford it at the time and 2) I wanted an exec auto which made it even more difficult .....so LPG is the way forward!