Erratic acceleration when pushing hard

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Erratic acceleration when pushing hard

Post by =|[PsychoPoet406]|= »

Still no closer to solving the mystery of my car's weird performance. The car generally goes fine, if a bit rough on startup (especially in this heat), but there is still something of a flat spot around 2000rpm which only tends to occur when I'm driving fairly hard. I don't have any problems while driving like an old man.

However, the other night when coming home I quite rightly decided I wanted to enjoy myself on the way home. I wasn't driving like a berk or anything but I did accelerate hard through the gears on a duel carriageway. Suddenly the engine became very rough and spluttery, jerky and juddery, generally powerless and unpleasant to drive. It sounded like a plug was loose again, but the engine seemed fine when I got home. The car was acting normally the next day.

What could be going on? My last 406 saw some serious abuse (a lot worse than I've given Defiant) and didn't so much as suffer clutch slip!
ImageImage
Foxy
Forum Admin<BR>Know it all

Post by Foxy »

Sounds like your engine is broken. Buy mine! :cheesy:
Used to own the finest 406 in the UK - RIP
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

I might buy the head from your car depending on what the experts say when I have my car re-diagnosed (the third diagnosis in 3 months!).
ImageImage
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

Well let me know soon. You might as well take the whole engine/shell. Im sure I can arrange a good price 8)
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Sounds like you want it gone foxy ! ! lol
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Have you checked the Coil Pack?
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I would start with a compression test, and a test on the coolant to make sure no hydrocarbons present (head gasket).

Once you know the engine is sound then the problem should be something simple like an Ignition fault, or vacumn leaks or hose leaks etc .

Almost sounds like boost creep where it is overboosting and cutting the fuel, or even a faulty Turbo actuator letting go.

But it would be sensible to start with the core mechanics of the thing.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

It looks like the exhaust valves really are gone. The engine is "running like a bag of nails" as the mechanic said today, and the timing seems to be out again. My dump valve has also packed up - it's stuck open so the car can't produce much boost! I've only had it two months!

There's a 306 GTi-6 going cheap nearby so I might well ditch my 406 and buy that!
ImageImage
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

if you ditch... it swap BOV's with me :) lol
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

if ur jus gunna ditch it, give me a shout. lol :P
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

So do you want this head I have?

Speak to me before you buy the 306, Ill give you some pointers on what to look for.
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Sorry for mucking you about Foxy, I keep getting distracted. I am probably going to buy your 406 head. My main problem so far has been money - I was badly overdrawn last month. (Pesky long-term illness meant I was unable to work for the whole of last year.)

This sounds stupid, but what is actually in the head? Cylinders, spark plugs, valves/springs, pistons? How much is it going to cost to get the heads swapped over?
ImageImage
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

The head contains a camshaft, 8 valves and a pulley. Thats all you need to know really.
I have a potential buyer who wants the whole car left overs. hes willing to pay big bucks as well so be quick. (im not just saying that lol)