aux belt tensioner issues

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

bigblue2
1.8 16v

aux belt tensioner issues

Post by bigblue2 »

having had enough of the tensioner destroying aux belts i decided to bite the bullet and get a new tensioner, picked one up from gsf and set to work removing the old one , a nightmare in itself, but after a hr of grated knuckles and water pipes discontected etc i finally freed the old one, i then realised the new one didnt come with the allen headed bolt that screws in from the back , it was onlt then i realised that the old one has a kind of metal and rubber bush fitted between the bolt head and the body of the tensioner , this i guess pushes into the spring ,
the issue i have now is this bush is totally worn out , spoke to gsf they said they dont come with one and have never seen one so best to speak to peugeot dealer, this i did and despite the parts guy looking through everything we couldn't see this part on any of their systems,
can anybody shed any light on this part and the fitting of the tensioner, any advice would be great as both myself , gsf, and the stealer all confused
pugSL
1.6 8v

Re: aux belt tensioner issues

Post by pugSL »

whats your car bigblue2?

I have a 1998 406 1.9td...same sort of problems. The aux belt get shredded after a few thou kms...had a dreadful time having piece of the aux belt going in to the timing belt and causing it to slip.. :evil: one wonders why pug didn't think of the possibility of thin happening considering the timing belt covers are plastic and doesn't separate the aux drive pulley and the timing belt drive pulley completely...I've heard several complaints from owners about this...

My problem is still not resolved fully. But I've removed the tensioner a few times on my car :lol:
bigblue2
1.8 16v

Post by bigblue2 »

yes already had that happen once snapped the cam in 2 places, i forgot to mention its a 1.9 xud td
pugSL
1.6 8v

Post by pugSL »

bigblue2 wrote:yes already had that happen once snapped the cam in 2 places, i forgot to mention its a 1.9 xud td
see what I mean...same car exact thing happened to me as well snapped the cam in two taking the center cam bearing with it.... :!:

when i changed the tensioner on my car the new one came with rubber bushes molded on to the two ends of the tensioner. Inside of these bushes were steel i think. One end had a steel bush which rotated freely on the steel lining of the rubber bush. I put the bottom bolt through this bush so when tightened the tensioner was able to rotate freely. Top had only the steel lining of the rubber bush. I put the allen bolt which fixed the earlier tensioner through this.