engine overfilled with oil

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

mickyp6639

engine overfilled with oil

Post by mickyp6639 »

HI EVERYONE, A NEW CONVERT HERE WITH A SLIGHT PROBLEM, I'VE JUST BOUGHT A 406 LX TD 1999 WHICH IS SMOKING ITSELF STUPID AFTER ABOUT 2 MILES, I CHECKED THE OIL AND FOUND IT WAS ABOUT 3/4 INCH OVER MAX ON THE DIPSTICK WHICH I KNOW IS NOT GOOD, WHAT I NEED TO KNOW FROM ONE OF YOU FELLOW OWNERS IS WHEN I DRAIN AND CHANGE THE OIL WILL THERE BE NO SMOKE OR WILL IT SMOKE TILL MORE WORK IS DONE AND WHAT WORK COULD IT NEED, I KNOW I WANT A LOT FOR A NEW MEMBER BUT I WANT TO KEEP THE CAR AS IT IS AS YOU ALL KNOW A VERY NICE CAR TO OWN. IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL. I SELL AND CAN SOURCE MOST TOOLS SO DOING THE WORK WON'T BE TOO DIFFICULT, CHEERS MICKYP6639 :cry:
deathbydiesel
1.8 8v

Post by deathbydiesel »

Onced drained and refilled correctly, it should only smoke for about 10-15 miles or about 45 mins, if it doesn't clear it's possible that the engine will need work on the piston rings. HTH
Oh and welcome to the site, :mrgreen:
They call me Grand-Pa!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

You never said if it was black or blue smoke, I have taken it as blue oil smoke, black smoke will be Diesel fuel and the EGR valve problem mostly.

It is not a good idea to have a high oil level as oil can get pushed up to the head or obtruct breathing and can force oil burn off.

I would drain out what is in there, put some cheap Diesel oil in (like halfords stuff) and a bottle of good Diesel engine oil flush (like Forte stuff).

Run the engine at idle with this stuf in for about 30 minutes.

Drain it all out, and replace with a better Diesel engine oil, 10W 40 semi synthetic use a good branded name popular oil.

Also pour a bottle of Diesel Injector cleaner in the tank (read instructions as you may need a decent amount of fuel in the tank first)

Also change the air filter and possibly the fuel filter if you can.

I reckon this should help a lot, It could be that it hasn't had a decent service for a long time and the previous owner just kept topping the oil up instead of changing it etc..
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

When you're done, disconnect the EGR as this can lead to localised hot spots in the head, and can cause the casting to crack.
mickyp6639

Post by mickyp6639 »

thanks for all the advice, i have drained the oil and put a new filter on and then added injecter cleaner. it is now much better but with a smoke trail on hills, i presume this will fade as the excess is burned off, i can only hope!!! cheers mickyp.. :P
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

turbolag wrote:When you're done, disconnect the EGR as this can lead to localised hot spots in the head, and can cause the casting to crack.
You got a picky of where this is done?
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

I don't mate, as mines an HDi. It'll be a diaphragm type assemby near the cylinder head, probably to the rear and to one end. Disconnect the rubber pipe that goes to it - then screw a short bolt or screw into the pipe to 'bung' it off (a plastic number plate screw with the threads lubed in vaseline is ideal). I stub on the EGR iteslf then need blocking - use a 2" length of rubber tube and screw something into the end of the tube and, voila!, an instant bung.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I thought the EGR did an important job (in cylinder cooling?).

I must admit although I haven't got plumes of black smoke, you can see black soot around the EGR and you can smell exhaust Diesel around the valve with the engine idleing showing that it is leaking a little bit of exhaust.
Cars in my care:
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

My EGR valve sounds the same as yours Welton, bit of soot round the top and the smell too.

Keep your eye on eBay, just bought a brand new genuine Peugeot EGR valve for the princely sum of ?12.50.

Got a week off soon so going to strip it all out, clean the pipework and slap the new fella on.

Fog
Welly

Post by Welly »

Foghorn Leghorn wrote:My EGR valve sounds the same as yours Welton, bit of soot round the top and the smell too.

Keep your eye on eBay, just bought a brand new genuine Peugeot EGR valve for the princely sum of ?12.50.

Got a week off soon so going to strip it all out, clean the pipework and slap the new fella on.

Fog
Flippin eck Foggy that is cheap. I don't suppose that went 'missing' from a main dealers parts store somewhere and ended up on the bay of e :roll:

You see no end of genuine parts on there so correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not convinced the are genuine private sales???

Still, you have done well there because I (think) they are about ?100.00 ?
Cars in my care:
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

Welton wrote:
Foghorn Leghorn wrote:My EGR valve sounds the same as yours Welton, bit of soot round the top and the smell too.

Fog
Flippin eck Foggy that is cheap. I don't suppose that went 'missing' from a main dealers parts store somewhere and ended up on the bay of e :roll:

You see no end of genuine parts on there so correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not convinced the are genuine private sales???

Still, you have done well there because I (think) they are about ?100.00 ?
No, no, no. I'm sure the gentleman was a 100% honest individual and the valve just happened to be lying about when he swiped it, ahem I mean found it.

*hears sounds of sirens and ducks behind sofa* :shock:

:cheesy:

Fog
Welly

Post by Welly »

Let us know how it goes after you fit it, would like to know if your car livens up after new EGR.
Cars in my care: