Starter motor FIXED !!! (with a warning)

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Pug406sv
1.6 8v

Re: Starter motor FIXED !!! (with a warning)

Post by Pug406sv »

I have issues with my 406 :|
When I try to start it, it will just turn around, but not actually fire up the engine. Will this be a starter fault? Or does the tricks in this thread only apply when you get the "click" sound only from the starter?

I can sit there trying to start my car for 10 minutes... when it SUDDENLY just fires up and runs perfectly fine. It's also easier to get it started once I've driven the car for a bit and the engine is warm.
Hard to start in the mornings, when one would need to RUSH to work :P
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Pug406sv wrote:I have issues with my 406 :|
When I try to start it, it will just turn around, but not actually fire up the engine. Will this be a starter fault? Or does the tricks in this thread only apply when you get the "click" sound only from the starter?

I can sit there trying to start my car for 10 minutes... when it SUDDENLY just fires up and runs perfectly fine. It's also easier to get it started once I've driven the car for a bit and the engine is warm.
Hard to start in the mornings, when one would need to RUSH to work :P
How old is the Battery?
if its a few years old, have a drop test done on it, Might just be the battery not packing enough volts if its an oldish one,
Pug406sv
1.6 8v

Post by Pug406sv »

The battery is brand new :|
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Can I just jump on the end of this thread??

My 2.2 has been slow to start for a few weeks - I just put it down to cold weather draining the battery - but when car didn't start on Sunday, I tried to jump start it. Turns out the battery is full of charge but starter just clicking. Nothing on pp2000 ( as a precaution ) so I think I need a new starter.
I don't supposed anyone knows if the starter from a 110 hdi will fit the 2.2? I don't have access to servicebox.

Also, when I checked under mine to 'persuade' the starter to engage - it appeared that I can see the teeth on the flywheel, and there is lots of oil around the starter - Is there supposed to be a cover on there as this could be why starter has failed.?

Car doesn't use or leak oil, so no idea where this grime comes from.....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

GingerMagic wrote:Can I just jump on the end of this thread??

My 2.2 has been slow to start for a few weeks - I just put it down to cold weather draining the battery - but when car didn't start on Sunday, I tried to jump start it. Turns out the battery is full of charge but starter just clicking. Nothing on pp2000 ( as a precaution ) so I think I need a new starter.
I don't supposed anyone knows if the starter from a 110 hdi will fit the 2.2? I don't have access to servicebox.

Also, when I checked under mine to 'persuade' the starter to engage - it appeared that I can see the teeth on the flywheel, and there is lots of oil around the starter - Is there supposed to be a cover on there as this could be why starter has failed.?

Car doesn't use or leak oil, so no idea where this grime comes from.....
I don't think we're allowed are we? :lol: There are some small minded people who don't like to see old topics bumped back up :shock:
However - sod them :D :mrgreen:
I don't know what to suggest but I am sure some one will come along and help you :) Good luck hun!
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Yep, there's a plate - 2107F6, it's the same for ML5T & C gearboxes and it's about 10 and a half quid from Pug (in case the breakers want to sell you the whole 'box :roll: ) Have a diagram http://peugeot406coupe.nl/catalogus/D9G/2/22D15A.HTM

Starter motors - this'll be fun... Oh my gawd there's loads :frown: Hold on a mo', looks like the only difference is the class, and it lists class 4 for all DWs, saloon and estate (and class 5 for a coupé). All different makes but all with the same part number- looks like a 2.0 HDi starter will indeed fit on your 2.2 :cheesy:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

I will ask here how intentionaly do something you are fighting against :).
I have Pug 406C 3.0 V6 y03 model.

Anyone knows how to quickly disable engine starter without pulling starting fuse? I would like to test if cabin fan works with 14V from outside PSU to electrical without actually starting the engine. Only provide starting pulse for electronics. Observing wiring i saw starter fuse is routing power to fan also. If i remove it i also loose the fan.

When i take the engine out for my conversion i will have to provide 14VDC power to car from another source. That will be DCDC converter from 380Vdc to 14Vdc. I would like to test this before i start to take the car apart.

tnx

Arber
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all on the subject you can buy motor brushes cheapish on ebay for the peugeot starters there dead easy to change and starter function is as good as ever cost me £3,funny though how it costs more to buy a reconditioned starter motor than to buy a brand new one! also you can buy solenoid seperate and cheaper than new starter,peace :lol: