Diesel injectors bubbling up fuel (BMW) any advice?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Diesel injectors bubbling up fuel (BMW) any advice?

Post by Welly »

What does it mean if you can see Diesel fuel around the Injector wells?

This is seen on 2 of the 4 cylinders.

It might be the rubber return lines leaking, but why bubble up around the threads? someone told me the the Injector threads are not 100% air tight anyway?

Cheers.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
reloaded
1.6 8v

Post by reloaded »

Had this leak on my old diesel ashtra'y', came from the rubber pipe, never cars use a steel pipe to fix this, in time they rust and you have the same problem but a more costly fix.

The rubber pipe came of my ashtray on the moterway once, and over half a tank of diesel lubricated my engine bay :evil:

Surely a diesel's ignition is compression, a non air tight injector would kill this and it would at best be irratic at idle, or even not run at all.

I'm sure the nice guy at BMW will pop his head under the bonnet, come to the wrong conclusion and charge more than the cars worth to fix it :?

Dan
Welly

Post by Welly »

Cheers Dan, I think its the rubber return lines myself, and apparently there is a Copper crush washer on each injector whicj may be passing slightly (a few tiny bubbles can be seen).

And no - I shall not be visiting BMW for a nice cup of coffee and a large bill thank you very much.

(actually a mechanic is looking at it today as the car is in for some other warrenty job outstanding from when I bought it).

Will have to let you know what he finds later.

The trouble with a Diesel leak is that it spreads everywhere instead of evaporating like petrol :|
Cars in my care:
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Yes I had the fuel return rubber hoses come off from the fuel pump on the 406. Started leaking diesel everywhere. But luckily I noticed a stream of diesel behind me and simply replaced the hose.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Fixed!

....For free too, as a good will gesture....(rubber hose).

Custard.......

Cars in my care:
munfred
2.0 16v

Post by munfred »

Had this problem appear on my hdi aswell.
Not bad enough to effect performance and still getting 50+mpg. But a little annoying.

Was thinking it may be the fuel return pipe, so thought Id come on here to have a look. So fingers crossed it will be the same problem as your BMW.

Could it just have been bubbling slightly from the engine heat or vibration?

Glad you got it sorted.
Does anyone here know which is the Return pipe on the 110hdi, as I cant seem to find it in the haynes, as I am blind, and lazy.

Cheers
Welly

Post by Welly »

munfred wrote:Could it just have been bubbling slightly from the engine heat or vibration?
Funny you should say that, as that is pretty much as it looked.

It's not pissing out anymore with new return lines but one injector looks a bit wet still although this was the one getting drizzled with fresh Diesel so am hoping it will dry out around the thread of the injector and go away, seems 100% better anyway for now.

I don't think the HDi has rubber return lines as it is a high pressure common rail (like a petrol), the HDi's did suffer with leaking fuel unions on the fuel rail to the injectors though (I've got a very early recall Invoice for that job).
Cars in my care:
munfred
2.0 16v

Post by munfred »

Any ideas on cost?
will probably get it sorted at the end of the month when I have the timing and aux belt changed.
Love driving the 406, especially last week around the North York Moors, but have spent too much on keeping it going.
Already spent ?716 on getting a new clutch and flywheel fitted. :shock:
Welly

Post by Welly »

Tell me about the clutch and flywheel?

What happened?
Cars in my care:
munfred
2.0 16v

Post by munfred »

I knew the clutch was on its way out when I brought the 406, but managed to knock the guy down because of it, so I didnt really mind.
I wanted to get the clutch changed before my holiday up to the North York Moors as I didnt want the clutch letting go on some stupidly steep gradient whilst I was on a camping holiday, so I took it to a local garage to get it replaced.
They called me through during the day and asked me if I was able to come in, as they said they thought I should get a new flywheel. Went in, and the fly wheel had been scorched and blistered where heat had built up in the bell housing. Basically the flywheel looked warped and blistered.
(Really should have taken some pictures)
The garage said they could put it back in, but they didnt know how long it would last, or if I would have any problems, so suggested that I had it replaced with the clutch so that I only had to pay for 1 lot of labour, rather than having to pay for all the labour again in the future.

My usual garage, which is actually 90 miles away from where I live would have done the work alot better and cheaper (?25ph), and are proper french car mechanics, but were busy until the end of august, so I had to take it to a place that I used to use but they charge ?50ph.

it will be going to suffolk for its timing belt at the end of the month as its cheaper, and I think I have found the leaky return pipe ;)