turbo reroute

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

deturbo

turbo reroute

Post by deturbo »

Hi i have got very board with my high fuel consumption on me exec turbo petrol, so i have rerouted the turbo outlet pipe through the inside air blower system. I find that my windows demist very fast now but at high revs the air diffusers keep blowing off. My question is there any way i could connect the wastgate actuater to a switch to turn the turbo off or even better connent it to the climate control to make it adjustable.

ps muy fuel consumption is better now albeit a bit gut less.
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Re: turbo reroute

Post by teamster1975 »

Erm... Welcome deturbo! :)
You're trying to achieve what everyone else is trying to repair!! Do you want to swap cars because my turbo doesn't work :P
If you disconnect the MAP sensor it should kill the boost, I wouldn't want the turbo spitting air into the cabin!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
deturbo

Post by deturbo »

thanks for your reply.

Where is the map sensor located?

Why do these cars burn so much fuel is there any way to improve this.

cheers
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

It's in the ECU, I think there is a vacuum pipe which triggers it. I need to fix mine, it's been bugging me for a long time now!
They are very thirsty engines, just try to avoid putting your foot down and keep off the boost (if it's connected :wink: )
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I used to average 34mpg on my daily commute from Stoke to Manchester and back in my tubby. The secret is to avoid the boost, which involves not accelerating hard, changing gear as soon as possible, and limiting your top speed to 60mph.

Love the idea of turbocharged air in the cabin, but I think the oil in it would be a bit of an issue after a while when everything has a thick layer of sludge over it :lol:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I'm not really getting this :oops: Is the turbo blowing into the cabin or sucking out of it? Or is it both? Do you need to shut the window when you want some boost? :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
deturbo

Post by deturbo »

The turbo is blowing into the cabin. Its just a cheap car that i am playing with. i have now riggged the old fan connections the the acctuater solinoid so now i have some conntrol through the climate control which is cool.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Am I not right in thinking that the turbo is driven by exhaust gases... are you not then blowing these gases into the cabin rather than using them to boost the engine's performance ...?

Disclaimer: I am not mechanically-minded, take the above with a liberal dose of sodium chloride.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

highlander wrote:Am I not right in thinking that the turbo is driven by exhaust gases... are you not then blowing these gases into the cabin rather than using them to boost the engine's performance ...?
Yes and no. Put simply:

Exhaust gas turns a fan before heading off down the exhaust pipe.
That fan is connected to another fan by a metal bar
The other fan blows air from the air filter into the engine (or in this case, the guy's cabin)
The seals between the two halves of the turbo are air-tight, so no exhaust gas should make it to the clean air side, although a small amount of oil will be blown through at high pressure... :lol:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

OK, I understand now - thanks :cheesy:

Given this new information, I wholeheartedly endorse the following idea: get a naturally-aspirated car with working air conditioning instead
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
zarzamora

Post by zarzamora »

It's my first time here, but I sense that a great deal of knowledge and commonsense is available. I'm intrigued at the thought of ar rushing into the cabin!

I do have a wee question - I've been driving a 1997 406 1.9 diesel for a few months now. I love the car to bits, but it's thrown its alternator A/C power steering belt twice and since the last occasion, I don't hear the whistle from the turbo. It doesn't smoke when the engine's warmed up, so my question is this - is there a simple way of finding out if the turbo is kaputt?

It puzzles me because it still accelerates about the same as when I bought it.
best regards
stu
totaleclipse
2.0 16v

Post by totaleclipse »

if you are concerned about it using too much fuel, sell it and buy a diesel one.
1997 2.1TD executive estate - mmmm, lovely :)
poddack
2.0 Turbo

Post by poddack »

replace your, belt, tensioner and idler, also check your crankshaft pulley
406 estate, 2.1TD, I fixed her, then part exchanged her for a Mercedes E300TD Avantgarde Estate.
Hmmmm, straight 6 goodness!
swiss
3.0 24v

Post by swiss »

If you're really concerned about your turbo (as you should be, IMO) and you have the time and money to spare fit a boost gauge. Bailes has a thread about this somewhere and it will let you see exactly what your turbo output is doing :)
The man with no car

"Close the door on your way out, and don't forget your monkey."
zarzamora

Post by zarzamora »

I'm flat broke at the moment; I wondered if an MOT centre would be able to tell if the turbo is seized or kaputt. Can they do any kind of test to check it, other than fit a boost gauge? many thanks Swiss for the speedy reply
best regards,
stu