406 woes

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

keys84
1.8 8v

406 woes

Post by keys84 »

Hey guys had a bit of trouble this avo

started the car and was fine it warmed up over 10 or so miles
just as i thought it was ok to switch the heater up (i let the engine warm up b4 me)
it started kangarooing - there is no power at low or high revs but at 2100 or so it is ok anythig more or less and it sounds like a sit on mower
assumed it was fuel (gauge is still bust)
put in a gallon still doing it
another five miles of this

had to get my cousin to the hospital for blood + platelets so need this car running

just changed the fuel filter and reset the ecu to no avail.
it sounds like it may be missing - could loss of backpressure cause this (the exhaust sounds loud)
think it is probably coil pack or gasket (it smelt a bit funny when i got out - but that could be the salt water on exhaust)

please guys any ideas
gonna see if i can get it to the garage for a diagnostic test
but that may show nothing
no lights on dash???

Its a 1.8 16v D8, N reg just serviced was fine yesterday ie. no previous symptoms
1996 Peugeot 406 1.8 16V
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: 406 woes

Post by highlander »

If the exhaust is blowing badly, this does make a noticeable impact on the performance of the engine on the 1.8 16v petrol. I think your D8 has the same engine as my early D9 saloon has.

Worth checking with a garage to see if anything else could be going wrong, but I would heartily recommend getting a nice Powerflow stainless-steel cat-back exhaust system. Makes the 1.8 a bit more enjoyable.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
keys84
1.8 8v

Post by keys84 »

ok cheers for that mate
ill check the exhaust properly

was bad enough laying in the snow to do the fuel filter : D

cheers for the input
i would love to do a bit to it but seriously cant afford stainless right now
let alone wheels or springs - its still boatlike - hms406
1996 Peugeot 406 1.8 16V
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Just to give you a heads-up - a number of places I called looking for a quote for a normal mild-steel exhaust worked out to be more expensive than a stainless steel system... as much as £450 +VAT, in some cases :shock: The cheapest was around £180 +VAT for a mild-steel system, but then they wanted to add on several hours' worth of labour at £55 per hour.

My Powerflow exhaust was £320, including fitting and VAT. They custom-build it for your car on the day of fitting. I was given my choice of tailpipe design, and was given the choice of how sporty it should make the car sound/perform. It also has a lifetime warranty covering the exhaust against damage due to poor fitting or welding work. They also give the exhaust a free inspection every year.

Only thing is, you need to remember to declare the exhaust to your insurance company - I forgot :oops: and they weren't best pleased when I had to make a claim (some tw@ hit my saloon with his van, then buggered off without leaving insurance details).

I'll definitely be fitting a Powerflow exhaust to my new 2.2 litre 406 Coupe, hopefully some time next year.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
keys84
1.8 8v

Post by keys84 »

right I'm back and still having trouble with this car

The exhaust is not blowing now i have had a proper look
it seems to be miss firing there is a distinct pop pop pop at the tail end on idle
goes away at 2000rpm or so - >2000 and it starts hesitating
definatley seems to be the mix so i think its probably a sensor the coil pack or possibly the fuel pump???
things I've checked

STEPPER:
have checked the idle stepper
O2:
the o2 sensors was just changed (checked anyway)

TDC:
I checked the TDC sensor which gave lower readings than in the sticky
my bro said it was <0.5v AC - so that may not be helping
it is starting though (just about - took forever this morning)

still haven't had diagnostic done because the dash light isn't showing think it might be a waste of money
is it really worth the 20-30 quid??

If someone could say what they think those symptoms might point towards id be glad
im running out of ideas
really hope its not a gonner :cry:
1996 Peugeot 406 1.8 16V
pphilpot
1.8 8v

Post by pphilpot »

Hi - while mine is a D9 1.8 16v, I've had one hell of a time with the sensor electrics on my car. My problems were the reverse of yours and 2100 (ish) would start the hesitation. That problem turned out to be a worn our sensor wire – part of the loom under the inlet manifold - it was rubbing on part of the engine, so it may be worth tracing back your sensor wires to the loom. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11976#p105815

I now have another sodding hesitation problem though, which started after my thermostat housing leaked badly over a period of weeks after changing the thermostat. Damn. I'm guessing that could be the TDC wiring which got very wet, or possibly the coolant temperature sensor may have gone belly up after the car was run with a low level of coolant - I doubt that though...
keys84
1.8 8v

Post by keys84 »

thanks for the reply
found that post of yours earlier and will take a look tomorrow
guess you need to take the inlet plastics to check properly

also put new coolant in not to long ago and took a long time to bleed system
so a lot of hot fluid went evrywhere (lol)

hopefully one of these things will solve the problem

thanks
1996 Peugeot 406 1.8 16V