tyres

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

chili
2.0 16v

tyres

Post by chili »

i need 2 new tyres both on the drivers side of the car, it will be best to get the tracking done at the same time won't it ?
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I'd seriously put some thought into getting all 4 done mate. Cost a bit more, but you won't end up driving in circles all day ;)

I got a set of 4 from kwik-fit a few months ago for about ?250 including balancing/tracking/etc
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

if thats the case it will have to be cheap re moulds for now.
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

If you buy 2 then swap em round so the best are on front. ;)

I wouldn't touch kwik fit, try http://www.topgear.co.uk http://www.blackcircles.com http://www.mytyres.co.uk
Search for Kumho and get them. They are the best alternative to the top makes and cheaper.
Dont ever get remoulds or cheap shite, its just not worth risking your and everybody elses life.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
munfred
2.0 16v

Post by munfred »

I use alot of remoulds especially colways as they are so cheap, but never really fancied putting some on the 406, as its so big. Visions of the extra weight etc stripping the tread.
Remoulds are supposed to be tested to high standards than normal road tyres.

How about getting a couple of part worns for the time being?
dont forget that as well as having the same sized wheels and tyres on the same axle, its often good to have the same tread pattern on te same axel.

Would definately get the tracking done. Have the 2 tyres on the same side of the car worn out because of the way that you have rotated the tyres? because otherwise the tracking sounds like it is definately out ;)
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

right i have gone to my local tyre place which used to be "man on wheels" and after looking i have 4 odd tyres anyway. the passanger side 2 are in good nick loads of tread, the drivers side are naff. ( i have only had the car since friday so cannot comment on why they are like this) anyweay booked in for saturday am going to get 2 goodyears 25% off at the mo for ?60 each on the drivers side, i think the mush said i need V's because of the size/weight of the car etc and the tracking for ?30

so what i need to do then is get both of these new tyres on the what...front or back axel ?

can't go b4 saturday as i start night shift tonight

thanks
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

Its front wheel drive so IMO put new on the front, other ppl may have diff opinions.

Check the links above, Kumho are just as good as Goodyear but cheaper.
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

when was the last time anyone saw a retread spread across the road i bet it was a long time ago?, retread are different to remould, retread are shaved back to carcass then new tread bonded on( they are the ones you USED to see on roadside), REMOULD is totally different and more or less the same as new tyres but cheaper ask supafrisk for good brands of remould cos i bet she uses them as a taxi-driver :shock:
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

On the front ! ! ! ! are you mad man ! ! ! ???

Kumho are awesome tyres despite what others may say.... i.e. foxy lol

Fifth Gear actually tested and dismissed the theory that the better tyres should be on the front ! ! Maybe you should watch it ??
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

From personal experience I'd recommend Goodyear Hydragrip, excellent tyre in wet and dry.

But for the love of god dont put Pirelli P6000's on, they're shite.

I agree with Supa, don't put cheapo tyres on, they're called ditch finders for a very good reason :cheesy:

Fog
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

thanks for the advice.

gonna see if i can find anyone local who stocks these goodyear eagles :)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Foghorn Leghorn wrote:But for the love of god dont put Pirelli P6000's on, they're shite.
Would you care to explain your statement there chappy?

As for the 406, I run Michelin Energy? on the front (cos thats how it was) can't really complain, and Goodyear Eagles on the back the car handles very nicely, fast turn-in, stable and quiet.

I understood that a car is more stable with the better tyres on the rears????????

The BMW Compact for 'er indoors' has P6000's all round although some doughnut had Over-Inflated the rears and has worn the centres so that the centre of the tread is now lower than the shoulders :| consequently the car now tracks and camber steers on the rear :shock: not a nice experience and I shall be into 2 new tyres on the back very soon I think.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

Niz406 wrote:On the front ! ! ! ! are you mad man ! ! ! ???

Kumho are awesome tyres despite what others may say.... i.e. foxy lol

Fifth Gear actually tested and dismissed the theory that the better tyres should be on the front ! ! Maybe you should watch it ??
Every garage I've been to put the best on the front, its front wheel drive, last thing you want is to loose the front, loose the rear and u can handle it, also good for drifting.
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

Ive also had similar bad experiences with the pirelli P6000. I once wrote off a brand new primera because of the crappy tyres letting go at the wrong time. The insurers report stated that the tyres were to blame.
So there!!!
I also like the eagles, theyre great in the dry or wet. I also used to use michelin pilot sxt's. They were also great, but didnt have the same wear rate as the eagles.
2002 Black 406 Executive 2.0HDi
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

I've allways found the P6000's to give just about adequate grip in the dry and be fairly terrible in the wet. I've got them on the front of my 406 at the moment and find I have to be pretty careful even if just slightly damp. Prior to the 406 I had a Honda Accord on a W plate, the original Bridgestones were fantastic in wet and dry, when they wore out I had P6000's all round (didnt know any better at the time ), the car was worse in the wet and the dry than the Bridgestones I had just replaced (any they were proper bald :shock: ).

To round off, I've had better cheapo budget tyres in the past than the aledgedly high quality Pirellis.

Fog