Vegetable Oil advice needed

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Re: Vegetable Oil advice needed

Post by Gary406 »

NollingtonHards wrote:
Also do you have to get a jerry can to funnel it in to the tank?
i use a large funel. and pour the 20 litres straight in. i get my 7 year old son to hold the funel while i pour :mrgreen:
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
bytecode
2.0 16v

Post by bytecode »

GeordieBoy wrote:Everything you need to know is on here:- http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum

Any kind of Veg Oil aslong as its liguid, not the lard type. If its new oil (SVO) just pour it in your tank, mix with 10% Petrol in this weather.
If its waste oil, then it needs settling, filtering, then put into your tank, same as above.
MPG maybe slightly lower than diesel, power maybe slightly less also.
Macro sell it in 20 ltr containers KTC oil, 20 ltrs at 86p a ltr.
Servicing, oil and filter change every 6k miles.
GeordieBoy: I've seen a lot of talk of using petrol as a thinner for SVO - I thought that petrol was a big "No No" in diesel - something to do with it rotting seals and/or other components - please can you clarify how this applies - does the SVO counteract the damaging effect of the petrol?
Now if I can just fit the mods from "Taxi" http://tinyurl.com/3yug4g3

I can provide PP2000/Lexia 3 code reading/clearing in the East Cornwall/West Devon area.
StevieboyTD
3.0 24v

Post by StevieboyTD »

bytecode wrote:GeordieBoy: I've seen a lot of talk of using petrol as a thinner for SVO - I thought that petrol was a big "No No" in diesel - something to do with it rotting seals and/or other components - please can you clarify how this applies - does the SVO counteract the damaging effect of the petrol?
The handbooks for some older diesels actually advise to add some petrol in colder weather.
2.1td exec estate.
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

StevieboyTD wrote:
bytecode wrote:GeordieBoy: I've seen a lot of talk of using petrol as a thinner for SVO - I thought that petrol was a big "No No" in diesel - something to do with it rotting seals and/or other components - please can you clarify how this applies - does the SVO counteract the damaging effect of the petrol?
The handbooks for some older diesels actually advise to add some petrol in colder weather.
Yep, upto 15% Diesel can be added to most Diesels. In winter I use 10%, 40 ltrs Veg with 4 ltrs Petrol.

Its Diesel in a Petrol car that is a big no no.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp