406 (1999,v reg) 110 hdi help & advice

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

406 (1999,v reg) 110 hdi help & advice

Post by xplosiv »

Hello all,

I have recently bought a 406 HDI (110bhp, V reg new shape), as my Peugeot 309 GLXDT is know mainly composed of araldite and silicon sealant.

Have driven the 406 HDI (110) before the only difference being that it was an estate rather than the saloon I have.

I have a few problems, as I remember the 110bhp HDI in the estate was reasonably fast at accelerating once you get to 2000 revs, but the second hand 406 I have does not really accelerate in second gear, and only seems to produce power after 3000 revs anybody have any ideas?

Does anybody have the CD changer in the boot? (As mine seems to skip, when you hit the smallest of bumps)

Many thanks,

Andy

NB the car has only done 55,000 miles
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

CD changer skips when your using CDR's but not when using pressed originals (i.e. all copied CD's skip like mad) or at least do in my car.

Fog
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Post by xplosiv »

Hi,

Thanks I will try (pressed cd's)

I am getting the car serviced (the big on ?160) and also the cam belt changed at a pug dealer all for ?360, is there anything else I should change?

I have heard a lot of comments regarding the lift pump failing and thus taking out the high pressure pump etc, have Peugeot fixed the problem and thus do I need to change the lift pump? (Or will I have to live with the fact that it will brake any time, and cost tonnes of money to fix)

Many thanks,

Andy
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

Foghorn Leghorn wrote:CD changer skips when your using CDR's but not when using pressed originals (i.e. all copied CD's skip like mad) or at least do in my car.

Fog
Mine works fine on all cd's, they just have to be clean and clear of finger prints etc
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

The 110 should pull pretty hard from about 1700 to about 2800 revs (I don't normally have to go above 3000) maximum BHP is at 4000 I believe which would explain the pull at higher revs but Max torque is at 1750 rpm.

Sounds a bit like your not getting turbo assistance? With the other work your having done I would ask the dealer to do a Global Check (a diagnosis) if you ask nicely they might do it for free (my dealer did).

Also Copy CD's never play properly in my changer, on bumpy roads it can loose all the tracks and start searching for another CD.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Post by xplosiv »

The turbo is working, but only seems to pull later on; I will ask the dealer to do a check as you said. Any ideas what it could be?

Next question will it be expensive?

I am already missing my simple 309 (rock solid with no problems, Turbo)

Quick question: - DO you know anything about the lift pump in the fuel tank? (I think it is only a problem on newer cars)

Many Thanks for you help,

Andrew
Welly

Post by Welly »

The lift pump in the tank either works or it doesn't, if it stops working you replace it, I think it's a load of bull about the pump breaking up and taking the HP pump with it.

When I started looking into HDi's I asked my service manager friend at Peugeot Dealer and he said although he has seen lift pumps fail (about ?150.00 and car just won't start) he has only see a handfull of High Pressure pumps fail and that has only been on cars that have had petrol through them or VERY high mileage Diesels, so I don't worry about the pumps at all myself.
Cars in my care:
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Welton wrote:The lift pump in the tank either works or it doesn't, if it stops working you replace it, I think it's a load of bull about the pump breaking up and taking the HP pump with it.

When I started looking into HDi's I asked my service manager friend at Peugeot Dealer and he said although he has seen lift pumps fail (about ?150.00 and car just won't start) he has only see a handfull of High Pressure pumps fail and that has only been on cars that have had petrol through them or VERY high mileage Diesels, so I don't worry about the pumps at all myself.
He He, just answered in the other thread...

Compares notes......

:cheesy:

Fog
reloaded
1.6 8v

Post by reloaded »

Don't be disheartend, the 406 is far far superiour machine then the 306, just remember those rattles and squeeks coming from EVERYWARE!, and in my old 306 a metalic scraping sound coming from the sunroof at every opertunity.

I'm sure you'll get it fixed and never look back.
As for the CD try burning the discs slower, I get jumps at 24X and 16X but plays perfectly if I burn at 8X.

Dan
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

reloaded wrote:As for the CD try burning the discs slower, I get jumps at 24X and 16X but plays perfectly if I burn at 8X.

Dan
Ooohh!!

Never thought of trying that, going to be busy tonight :cheesy:

Fog
Welly

Post by Welly »

Foghorn Leghorn wrote:
reloaded wrote:Ooohh!! Never thought of trying that, going to be busy tonight :cheesy:

Fog

...........copying CD's you've already paid the duty on yourself.

:roll:
Cars in my care:
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

Welton wrote:
Foghorn Leghorn wrote:
reloaded wrote:Ooohh!! Never thought of trying that, going to be busy tonight :cheesy:

Fog

...........copying CD's you've already paid the duty on yourself.

:roll:
Is still ILLEGAL in the UK to copy any CD/DVD even if you got the original. :(
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
Welly

Post by Welly »

Oh, well it's a good job I haven't copied any yet then. :cheesy:

TBH I don't listen to music in the car, it spoils the gruff rumble from me Diesel Motah ooh arrgggh....
Cars in my care:
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

TBH I don't listen to music in the car, it spoils the gruff rumble from me Diesel Motah ooh arrgggh...

You want to get out more without the tractor there Welton man!! :lol:
2002 Black 406 Executive 2.0HDi
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Post by xplosiv »

Hi

Actually it is not ILLEGAl to copy/backup a music CD, here are the real rules --

RULE 1: You can legally make one backup copy of any digital media you already own, in case the original gets damaged. EXCEPT DVDs. If you make a copy of a DVD as a backup, you will be breaking the law.

RULE 2: You can transfer any of your legally owned media onto a different media, so that now you own two different formats of it (this is called "space shifting"), e.g., if you own a CD you can legally make an MP3 version of it; or if you legally own an MP3 you can burn it onto a CD; or you can transfer your legally owned floppy disks onto a CD, etc. As long as you own an original copy you are allowed to possess it in several different media formats. EXCEPT DVDs. If you make a copy of a DVD in any other format, you will be breaking the law.

Thanks,

Andy