Actuator Pipe Removal = Extra Power ???

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Actuator Pipe Removal = Extra Power ???

Post by GeordieBoy »

Is this true, and if so where is it in an HDi 110? Is they much increase in power?

Need a dummies guide unfortuanatly as I know fook all about engines.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

OK GeordieBoy I shall say this once so take heed....

This is a dumbass pub garage kinda equation, if your mate told you to do it, smack him in the face, you have my permission ! ! LOL

The problem is, that the equation is true....

Remove actuator Pipe = More Power

With no boost pressure to the actuator the wastegate will never open, meaning that the turbo will just keep boosting, and boosting until the thing blows up, or your piston comes out the side of the block ! ! Well that isnt entirely true, you will get wastegate creep at higher boost levels, a shortcoming when working with internal wastegates ! ! But even that will not be enough to prevent damage to the engine / turbo ! !

My advice leave that pipe alone on a HDi ! ! !
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
rossd
1.6 8v

Post by rossd »

The above would be correct for the HDi 90, but not fot the 110. If you pull the actuator pipe off the 110 turbo you get zero boost. This is because the ECU controls the wastegate on the 110 by vacuum. On the 90 its the normal old fashioned pressure feed to the wastegate. :?
2003 406 S HDi 110 Estate
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Getting no boost would require the wastegate to be open all the time, for the wastegate to be open the pipe needs to be connected to the actuator with the correct amount of pressure applied to the actuators diaphram / spring.....

A connection must be made to the actuator in order for the wastegate to operate, if the wastegate does not operate then the exhaust gases contine to power the rotor which creates boost in the compressor side. So I cannot see how the 110 would be different from any other forced induction system, even if the car has a Wastegate Control Solenoid like my Petrol Turbo.

You disconnect you continually boost and will cause damage to your engine / turbo !
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
rossd
1.6 8v

Post by rossd »

You get no boost on the 110 as the wastegate fails safe, in its normal position its open and is closed by the vacuum, so vacuum is applied to the valve when boost is required! The HDi 90 works in the normal old fashioned way with the wastegate opened by pressure. Bit odd if you ask me, all to do with emissions and control of the boost though! :|
2003 406 S HDi 110 Estate
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Now that is strange ! ! !

Damn froggie bastards ! ! they cock everything up..... failsafe ! ppfffttt more like design flaw ! ! :)
Niz406
--------
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

There is a bigger problem still on the HDi - the turbo and it's gubbins are buried to the rear of the engine, way on down deep, and really need to be accessed from under the car, which requires partial removal of the engine subframe first.

That's why i've not got a boost guage yet!