Oil temp

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

uoapsdb
1.6 8v

Oil temp

Post by uoapsdb »

406 hdi 110 W reg - are there any known probs with the oil cooling on these 406's. On a trip to France last year (admittedly climbing mountain roads) the oil temp got close to the 140 mark and the STOP warning light came on, though other cars managed ok. Again, driving about 60 miles to Gatwick last week, carrying 5 people + luggage the temp rose sharply again though I was able to keep it just around 130 by coasting. Water temp is fine. Does the oil cooler get blocked ? Can the system be flushed ? Could it be an oil pump probelm ? Any suggestions welcome, particularly if there is a known issue.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Oil temp

Post by Doggy »

The oil cooler is a small oil/water heat exchanger, mounted immediately behind the oil filter. Not heard of problems with them, other than I think someone had a leaky one, last year or thereabouts....

I guess it would be fairly easy to prove the water passages are blocked or otherwise, albeit having to drain the cooling system to do so. Don't know how you'd go about proving the oil passages are clear. I've no idea what they cost as I can't access ServiceBox from work.

Are you sure the STOP light is due to oil temperature? It can be other things, (water temperture, brakes/ABS, oil pressure).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
uoapsdb
1.6 8v

Post by uoapsdb »

Thanks for your thoughts dogslife. yes I'm sure it was the oil temperature - when the guage got just below the 140 mark the STOP light came on, when we sped up again going downhill with less load on the engine the gauge moved away from the 140 mark the STOP light went off, the water temp was slightly above normal but not high at all.

There is a seperate small radiator to the right of the main rad (looking from the front), is that not to do with cooling the oil ?

Noone has responded with a known problem so maybe there isn't one.

It's not just the STOP light coming on that concerns me, it's the way the oil temp climbed so much, even on a short jouney about 60 miles when fully loaded. Have any owners seen their oil temp approach the 140 mark when fully loaded or driving up long big hills ? These were big hills - they're called the Alps.
bytecode
2.0 16v

Post by bytecode »

Hi,

have you checked your oil level?
have you since done an oil change?

You can get a "flushing additive" in a can that you add "x minutes" before doing the oil change - this helps remove any crud (although if you've had a leaky seal in the past that's blocked with crud , it can clean that too are your seal will resume leaking).

I had high oil temps on my MGF when I was running out of oil - hence asking about the oil level.

High temps. degrade the efficacy of oil too - so I'd definitely change the oil and filter ASAP if you haven't already...
Now if I can just fit the mods from "Taxi" http://tinyurl.com/3yug4g3

I can provide PP2000/Lexia 3 code reading/clearing in the East Cornwall/West Devon area.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

uoapsdb wrote:There is a seperate small radiator to the right of the main rad (looking from the front), is that not to do with cooling the oil ?
That's the intercooler.

That's a weird one and no mistake :shock: I reckon what the other guys say - check the oil level (what did you put in last btw?) and treat as for overheating. Other than that, call in a witch doctor? :oops:

Btw how noisy are your injectors? It's probably wide of the mark given that diesels run on pre-ignition but perhaps if the pre-injection is really bad it might cause heat problems (anyone?)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
hammerman
2.0 Turbo

Post by hammerman »

My oil temp climbs towards 140 when towing(including the alps,St Gotthard & Mt Blanc tunnels in august)but i`ve never had the stop light on for oil temp.I have for water temp,when it went off the end of the scale :lol:
It normally sits around the 110 mark,but the gauge is a bit difficult to work out due to the increment lines :? But when towing it sits around 120-130 ish.
It could be a dodgy sensor,which i think is next to the oil filter.Mine played up last year,telling me i had no oil pressure.
I take the oil temp reading with a pinch of salt.Only my previous Xantia had a oil temp gauge.All my other cars did`nt.So there was no need to worry about the temp. :)
2003 Hdi Est SE
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

I think the first port of call would be an oil and filter change and possibly a cooling flush and change too, then we can really start hypothesizing about oil ways and so on.

By the way the Alps are seriously big hills :shock:
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!
uoapsdb
1.6 8v

Post by uoapsdb »

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

I've just checked the oil level and it's fine - slightly below max.
The car has had an oil and filter change less than 1000 miles ago.
The water coolant system was flushed about 6 months ago.

I use a local garage for servicing and repairs and only go to Peugeot for diagnostic purposes as a rule.
I've been resisiting going to Peugeot for this problem,
I've found this forum has answers based on experience rather than guesswork like Peugeot.

One example was the 'Brake fluid level is Low' warning which Peugeot
were going to charge me £150 to replace the reservoir for
(which had nothing to do with the problem). However, an article on this
website showed that it was a known issue and due to the switch below the handbrake.
I followed this article and fixed the problem for free !!

Sounds like this oil temp rise isn't a known issue though.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Like most owners, (I suspect), I don't pay much attention to the oil temp. but have noticed that in warm weather it can drop as low as just over 90 if going really slowly and as high as 130 ish if driven quickly - and this without towing anything / being heavily loaded or dealing with 'continental' temperatures.

Unlike the water temp., which is regulated by the thermostat, fans etc., there is nothing to 'control' the oil temp. therefore it's not surprising it mirrors how hard the engine's working. Worth checking all the above suggestions, but it may turn out to be 'normal' given the fairly extreme set of conditions you describe.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
uoapsdb
1.6 8v

Post by uoapsdb »

Resurrecting this question as I never got to the bottom of the problem and really want to take the car to France. I still have the problem of the oil temp guage (left hand one) going v high when I carry a heavy load or drive at high speed for a lengthy time say 70 for half an hour.

Any suggestions welcome - flush / replace oil cooler ? could the oil pump be weak ? fit an extra oil cooler ?

One thing that someone mentioned above was to do with the injectors - they have always leaked a little bit of oil but not enough to merit working on them.

I believe the car had been unused for a period - say a year when I boought it about 5 years ago.

Any advice welcome please
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

I guess over the last couple of years you've kept an eye on it and have a better idea of what's normal?

Any chance you can get it on Peugeot Planet? Where abouts are you? (There are a lot more about than there were in 2011.)

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

I'd try get a new or even a salvage oil cooler.
I'd replace the coolant. I use Mocal Inugel which I recommend highly!

A good quality 5w40 fully synth oil with an OEM spec filter.

Also have a good look at your radiator! The stop light only comes on with the coolant so that must be overheating too!

If you're willing to spend a little then a Mocal aftermarket oil cooler might benefit you!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Shame FLIR cameras aren't cheap... could probably help pinpoint the problem in seconds on a rolling road using one
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

It might be worth checking the temp of the oil in another way, as it could be a faulty sensor or gauge. I would try (very gingerly) to feel the sump when the STOP light has come on. I know of many a water temp sensor that has failed, and electric oil pressure switches and sensors.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

check the temp with something like this? :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Tempe ... 3cd6d365bc
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped