Noisy engine

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I don't blame you for going somewhere else to have the job done. I'm happy with Pug doing it here though as I trust them more than a local garage. Or should I say mistrust them less?

I bottled out anyway, I'll have to drive it to get it to Peugeot but I decided that's my next journey. I cycled home instead. Christ I'm unfit! Then again, to give an idea of the topography here any directions to my house would probably include the words "head towards the mountains".
adam03031980
2.0 Turbo

Post by adam03031980 »

Luckily my little brother works at gsf so i manage to get an even further discount and also he recommends me skilled mechanics who wouldnt screw me over as he would get grief form them its just a pain as my car is everything as i have to drive 50 miles a day to and from work 6 days a weeks which is a killer
nipper76
2.0 16v

Post by nipper76 »

ello peeps, bit late in this, but i have been wondering if my engine should be that loud.... 2.1td (d8)
it sounds like a tractor. or a tank for that matter lol
what could help make this quieter? and what could be making it sound loud?

Also, something that hi my mind earlia, as diesels have injectors instead of sparks, do you have to change the injectors, like you would with sparks or not?

many thanks
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

only real cause of noise on the 2.1 is the injectors, you can get them overhauled, though it makes more sense to buy new ones, economy will be on the up too
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

the 2.1 will sound like a tractor.

You don't have to change the injectors unless the are faulty. there not a service part.

Every HDI engine you hears sounds different, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them, its just the way they are.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
nipper76
2.0 16v

Post by nipper76 »

i guess the noise was just a diesel thing lol
but worth askin,
how do you know if your injectors are faulty?? and are they a easy job to change, prob a supid question, what job is ever simple?? lol
nipper76
2.0 16v

Post by nipper76 »

jus wanted to see that down their lol
If Itz Got TiTz or Tyres, Itz a Pain in The Arse
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

You need the right tool to remove the injectors on the 2.1, the needle lift sensor has a wire to it so the tool needs a slot cut in it. I took mine to Pug, they took it in but 20 minutes later they called me back to tell me they didn't have the right tool... Tools... However, they did tell me where to go, who were very reasonable and, having decent diagnostic gear, were able to diagnose my fault (uneven running) as the needle lift sensor, not the pump as Pug said.

Anyway, D9 booked in for Tuesday so I'm back to driving the D8 (fortunatly I hadn't got round to selling it yet). I had to get insurance on it for 2 weeks and temporary plates, plus it had to go through their version of the MOT (somewhere between "oh, it's got 4 wheels, here you go" and the UK's "if I can't break your car I'll reluctantly give you an MOT"), the whole lot setting me back about 40 squids.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Well, the '9's with Pug in ZG. I explained the noise, showing the mechanic a picture of the crank pulley I pulled off this very site but they were amazed I wanted it all changed on a 3 year old car with only 87,000km on the clock. I explained that I had no idea of the history of the car and I just wanted to be sure there weren't going to be any sudden bangs. The (rather sexy) receptionist said they'd be back to me in an hour with an offer (?).

So, after 90 minutes, I strolled in there and she was still adding stuff up... She said that they reckon my car has indeed done more than 87k (does anyone on here actually trust what the odometer says any more?) because the cam belt is disintigrating.

So they're going to do the big jobby service on the engine - both belts, pulley and waterpump. There were a few other things on the list, the remote wasn't working (all tested as much as I could) which luckily was the circuit inside the key. There was also something else on the list called "spona", it comes in 2 parts and comes to about 90 quid. Huh? The receptionists were all trying to explain what it was but all I got was it's some sort of tie or joiner or button... All I could think of was that I had asked for one of those (stupid) buttions that holds the (stupid) engine cover on as one was missing. I was getting a bit aggitated at the price so they got the mechanic in again - it's one of the arms on the rear suspension! Erm, thankyou for keeping me alive.

The whole lot should set me back about a grand and should be done tomorrow pm. Fortunatly I have a grand handy, it was to pay for heating oil this winter. Crud.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote:The whole lot should set me back about a grand
I trust that includes sex with said 'sexy receptionist'? if it does then you've got a good deal - well done fella 8)
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I'm probably old enough to be her dad!

I've been pondering why it sounded ok on the test drive and the 30km journey home but like a tank when I took it for its' safety test. It's either a) I'm a complete gimp or b) something to do with having to keep it in my garage for 3 months before I could start driving it.

The thing is I have a temporary visa here which is renewed every September. The really stupid thing is my vehicle registration is tied into it, so no matter when I register it I have to renew it again in September and it must have 12 months tax, insurance and "MOT" to be registered. So, if I'd registered it back in June, which all costs me about 500 quid, I'd still have to do it all again in September, another 500 smackeroos :evil: .

I ran it once a week, and took the opportunity to give it a full sevice, swap the new brakes off the '8 onto it and clear some stupid faults. But I never sat inside it, which is where you have to be to hear the noise.

Before you ask, I was looking since last year.

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi guys, me Pug's back from Pug. I'll scan the bill in later and see if anyone can make sense of some of the part codes 'cos I got tired of pointing to stuff and saying "whassat??" I can already see he's changed both rear track arms, at £70 a pop :shock: So much for their "MOT".

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Never mind all that, what was the receptionist like?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Where's the drooling emoticon?

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

So What the f**k's all this then?

1. Antifreeze - dammit, I just changed that!
2. (Stupid) engine cover (stupid) button
3. Used materials - coffee, sugar...
4. Some sort of vegetable?
5. "Double belt pulley" - presumably everyone's favourite crank pulley.
6. Washer or seal - ?
7. Gaskets?
8. Water pump
9. Rear bush?
10.Track arm
11.Track arm
12.El Belt
13.something that stretches something else??
14.ditto
15.Grease against going out from the garden??
16.Cleaning spray

Below that is stuff needed to complete the work:

1. Labour
2. Other services? All I did was shake her hand!!!

Hopefully one of you clever chaps has some access to a parts catalogue. While I couldn't get in this site earlier I talked to my brother in GB and he's getting me one so next time I can avoid this sort of thing, plus use numbers instead of words...

So no more paranioa for the forseeable future. Prices are in Croatian Kunas, I'm wondering how they compare. My usual converter. Quite a bit to shell out but hopefully that'll be it for a very long time.

There's just one problem though: It's still making that noise! ARGH!!!!!!! D.C. al capo