406 TROUBLE STARTING??

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

CHRIS406

406 TROUBLE STARTING??

Post by CHRIS406 »

Hi every one ,

I have a 406 2.1 td 1997 im having issues with starting her , I have fitted 4 new glow plugs /new fuel filter/air filter . now basicly once the glow plugs are heated and u go to start she just kicks over and over but does not start then try again and its starts but u have to put your foot on the ac a little otherwise it just conks out again ,once shes running she runs like a dream , any one have any idea what i can look for , i was thinking maybe the glow plug relay if its got one or not i have no idea maybe a fuel problem ? i have primed the fuel with the hand pump till its full but this makes no difference .:( can any one help me please ..
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Re: 406 TROUBLE STARTING??

Post by gumby6371 »

HI Chris and welcome, does the priming bulb remain firm when she's been standing over night? if not my first step would be to change the leak off pipes. Also check for fuel leakage around the injectors and fuel lines, if fuel can get out air can get in.
If it hasn't been done recently drop a new fuel filter in and make sure the cover seal is clean and done up nice and tight.

The XUD will pretty much prime itself off the fuel pump, an easy test would be to give the plugs 3 or 4 cycles (this also runs the lift pump/fuel pump) before trying to turn the engine over, if it starts easier chances are it's an air in fuel problem.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
poddack
2.0 Turbo

Post by poddack »

I second the leak off pipes, also check the pip on the far right injector (if it's missing diesel will piss all over the engine).
You could check the in-tank strainer as I did a couple of year ago for any blockages.
When she's running, what's the idle like?
406 estate, 2.1TD, I fixed her, then part exchanged her for a Mercedes E300TD Avantgarde Estate.
Hmmmm, straight 6 goodness!
ally406
2.0 Turbo

Post by ally406 »

Did your problem begin before or after fitting the new fuel filter?
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD, 316k, down for full rebuild with custom rods, TD04 and a stack of welding.
'95 Peugeot 405 1.6 GLX with XU10J4RS conversion @ 195bhp.
'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 111k.
ToddM
2.0 Turbo

Post by ToddM »

Do you allow it several seconds on ignition before you attempt starting it? That's when the glow-plugs switched on on the old XUD so I have no idea if they do as well on the TD.
Captain Jack wrote:On a serious note, I managed to get my knob off after some persuasive yanking. Then used some epoxy to put the new one on. Glue still setting now so haven't had the chance to test it.
steve_earwig wrote:Ooh-er mrs. :shock:
poddack
2.0 Turbo

Post by poddack »

Have you lost the rubber seal for the new fuel filter, are your new glow plugs ok, meter them individually.
406 estate, 2.1TD, I fixed her, then part exchanged her for a Mercedes E300TD Avantgarde Estate.
Hmmmm, straight 6 goodness!
scotthesniper

Post by scotthesniper »

hi guys i have the same problem where are these leak of pipes. and when i squeeze the primer bulb there is a couple bubbles in the pipe leading to the filter can anyone help

i have took all 4 glow plugs out and tested them with booster pack all 4 are working fine

i have also metered to first glow plug and thwere is 12v there and then metered from one glow plug to the last glow plug there is power there. im kinda lost now

some ppl on here are going on about a high pressure fuel pump fingers crossed its not that so plz help im at a loose end.

p.s also fitted ne battery yesterday still the same.

regards
scot
dummysock
1.8 16v

Post by dummysock »

I had the same problem through the winter with my 1998 2.1td.

I never rectified it before selling it. However, what I did find was air bubbles in the clear plastic pipes after the priming bulb after standing overnight. I think that the rubber perishes with age and allows air in somewhere !! I could never find any diesel leaks

If you can live with the air ingress, then just squeeze the priming bulb until hard and it should start first time
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

the xud engines fuel system needs to be 100% air tight because there is no fuel pump in the tank.

if the system is not 100% air tight then fuel will syphon back to the tank overnight when stood . thus the reason it starts straight away when primed..

you wont find any diesel leaking because air is probably getting in via fuel filter housing. this is the common place . so if air gets in via there diesel will go back to the tank because its not air tight..

the cheapest way to try solve it is buy a new filter and fully clean the lid and housing were the filter seal sits ... and tighten the 4 bolts up tight to keep it air sealed

i use toilet tissue when doing mine on my 1.9 td's which is very similar to the 2.1 td
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)