AFTERMARKET TENSIONER CRAP??? delco/delphi?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

martint
2.2 16v

AFTERMARKET TENSIONER CRAP??? delco/delphi?

Post by martint »

My replaced aux automatic tensioner was vibrating quite a bit so took it back. Mechanic put new 1 in but was still moving like the old one. I asked him why & he said it's maybe a sh*t version o the proper pug tensioner. Think he said it was a delco make. Tried lookin up on web but there's a Delphi and delco but not sure which 1 was tried.
Any of u guys had this happen AND is there a point puttin a proper oem one on? It's like there wasn't enough tension on the cheaper one!!
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: AFTERMARKET TENSIONER CRAP??? delco/delphi?

Post by lozz »

Delphi stuff is ok mate,
are you sure its delphi branded,?

theres some imported china parts floating around :roll:
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

no you dont need to put a dealer one in. any from a good motor factor store will be fine..

were did you buy yours from ? (if your answer is ebay,, than there is your answer probably)
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

When ihad all the belts and tensioners replaced on my old D9
Motorfactors didnt stock/sell tensioners, had to get one from the Mainstealers,
they even showed me the parts book none listed,
martint
2.2 16v

Post by martint »

Loss ur so right. Gary ur so wrong. Look up( sorry it was dayco or delco) these reviews on google for dayco/delco tensioners. It's well known online they're shite. Even the mechanic said to get a pug oem tensioner. Even when he put another dayco(delco?) tensioner in , it still vibrated as much as old one he just took out! another mechanic told me today to go for a oem tensioner as the spring in it is really powerful & thats the piece that costs the fair bit o the price.
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

does it still vibrate bad with a little revs ?
martint
2.2 16v

Post by martint »

Yeah Gary. When low revs mainly. Startin to think I might have wrong size belt or something. Seemingly dayco ARE suppliers to Peugeot some1 said so now I'm confused!what u think
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

was the pulley set after, belt and tensioner was replaced?
you can adjust the pulley wheel to take the few mms of slack out the belt :roll:
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

martint wrote:Yeah Gary. When low revs mainly. Startin to think I might have wrong size belt or something. Seemingly dayco ARE suppliers to Peugeot some1 said so now I'm confused!what u think
how bad is it vibrating ?

i dont know if yours is same but mine has 3 bolts in total. 2 of the bolts hold the tensioner in position, the 3rd bolt is the one that tightens and untightens the belt. you have to undo the 2 bolts 1st to allow the tensioner to tighten & untighten with the 3rd bolt
perhaps one of the 2 bolts that hold the tensioner in place hasnt been tightend properly ?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

:arrowd:
aux belt22.JPG
martint
2.2 16v

Post by martint »

im starting to think now that he's maybe not done it properly,then. i dont know the 1st thing about these tensioners,but might get someone after xmas to have a look.is the eccentric wheel the wheel under the automatic tensioner? so is the eccentric one the one that sets the tension or what.i know the automatic one must apply tension if its sprung.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Where are you located mate,
if your local ish or within 30miles of manchester iwouid have a look over it for you :roll:
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

the eccentric is not a tensioner, its just a roller
but if its not balanced it will throw the belt off balance and the tensioner wont be able to keep tension on the belt correctly,
if the belt dosent stay within them grooves it will work its way off

ihad all this with my old 406 took me a few days to work it out,
best bet is to take the belt off and check each part for roughness if any,, if a pulley dosent turn freely bin it and replace it
with new one,
martint
2.2 16v

Post by martint »

thats what im gonna do tomorrow.just read haynes manual there. when you say eccentric roller not balanced,in what way?the eccentric roller moves as well tho? it must move to take up a certain amount o slack? i know the auto tensioner provides the tension but does the eccentric roller move?(not round and round tho). i wouldnt be surprised if he's used the wrong size belt or something.think i'll buy a new one as well
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

martint wrote:thats what im gonna do tomorrow.just read haynes manual there. when you say eccentric roller not balanced,in what way?the eccentric roller moves as well tho? it must move to take up a certain amount o slack? i know the auto tensioner provides the tension but does the eccentric roller move?(not round and round tho). i wouldnt be surprised if he's used the wrong size belt or something.think i'll buy a new one as well
theres no tensioner on the roller as such ,
you just lock off the tensioner and move the ecentric roller up until it starts getting a grip of the belt.
they normaly stay set unless someones messed with them, :roll:

theres aspecial tool to set the eccentric rollers but idid mine by using abent screwdriver :roll:

just lock off the tensioner,
and try turn the pulley wheel on the eccentric if itl turn freely itl need setting