Low level air intake and shallow water

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Low level air intake and shallow water

Post by steve_earwig »

Yeah, upwards, unfortunately :(
Bigdipper wrote:Did removing the link pipe go ok ? Did it affect the car in any way ?
Sorry, I didn't spot this before but I think I mentioned it elsewhere - I can't say there's any difference in the way the car drives but it does make a louder induction noise, which resulted in me taking it to the garage to check for a leak in the exhaust :oops: To be fair though, I hadn't driven it it a while and had forgotten I'd taken the link pipe off.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

steve_earwig wrote:Yeah, upwards, unfortunately :(
Bigdipper wrote:Did removing the link pipe go ok ? Did it affect the car in any way ?
Sorry, I didn't spot this before but I think I mentioned it elsewhere - I can't say there's any difference in the way the car drives but it does make a louder induction noise, which resulted in me taking it to the garage to check for a leak in the exhaust :oops: To be fair though, I hadn't driven it it a while and had forgotten I'd taken the link pipe off.
Errmm, i was just about to do the same thing :oops: with it being boiling outside i drove with windows open so I'm hearing this louder noise thinking...Well the mot guy did say there's a slight blow somewhere on the flexi i havn't gone and made it worse by removing a pipe that's nowhere near it have i? have i?

Well i just parked up and told myself no before reading your reply. :lol:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
crackpotterpig
1.8 16v

Post by crackpotterpig »

I noticed the slightly louder induction noise when the engine is at idling speed, after I removed the low air intake pipe.
I will def trade it being a litte noisy on tickover for sucking up water !! :)
davew
2.0 16v

Post by davew »

is it common for a 406 to suck water up, i've just recently bought one and there are a lot of small lanes around where i live that often have standing water on them :)
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

i know i asked this before but kill me if i can find it,and my girl is constantly talking so i cant concentrate properly :cheesy:
If you remove all the air pipes below air filter box and drive like that,it takes a lot of hot engine air in it,right?
is there any performance loss?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I suppose it's inevitable that there will be some performance drop off but you might only notice it on the track. It's more of a temporary solution, say you get half way to work and find yourself presented with an iffy-looking puddle you can just whip the pipe off and chug through it without concern.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

davew wrote:is it common for a 406 to suck water up, i've just recently bought one and there are a lot of small lanes around where i live that often have standing water on them :)
Have a look here Dave viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18837
A few members have lost their car over this pipe and i certainly wouldn't want to be living in an area full of lanes like yourself with it on my car.

I been thinking about this and have come up with a dodgy piece of paint and some thoughts so bear with me.

N06 is the pipe removed it has 3 holes where the dodgy red arrow is the top of the three holes sits approx 5" below the airbox making it (on my car) 17" above ground or is it sea level? :lol:

Pipe N05 attaches to N06 that sits up in the wheel arch.. the highest point of N05 i think would be no more than 26" above ground this being where the air is supposedly being sucked in.

So you have to be in a 26" puddle to drowned your car? No because water will be pulled up from around the 17" mark through those 3 holes.

My question is wtf are those holes for? are these what are actually hydro locking our engines? i understand they could be a run off but to me they look like they cause more damage. :roll:

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

scotty73 wrote:My question is wtf are those holes for? are these what are actually hydro locking our engines? i understand they could be a run off but to me they look like they cause more damage. :roll:
I've never seen those holes before - probably someone's "fix" to this problem. I know I've drilled holes in the pipework in the past...

Also note that the bottom half of the hose can and will degrade with time, resulting in the air being sucked in from the very bottom of the wheelarch liner.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

mjb wrote: I've never seen those holes before - probably someone's "fix" to this problem. I know I've drilled holes in the pipework in the past...
They don't look like a fix on mine if I'm honest they look pretty similar to Steve's.

Steve's.

Mine.

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Timely reminder chaps!

This morning's mini floods saw me tacking feverishly for the shore to the amusement of other drivers.
Doesn't bother me, I'm getting used to people smiling knowingly or shaking their heads at grandad here. :roll:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
crackpotterpig
1.8 16v

Post by crackpotterpig »

when the pipe is fitted in place the holes are on the bottom side of the pipe aren't they? I cant remember now as its months since I removed mine.I think they will be drainage holes for any small amount of water that might sit in the pipe, not for when you drive through floods!!
Best way fit a snorkel up the side of the a pillar!! :shock:
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

Thanks Steve

yep,i belive those holes are on the lower part,looking for down in order to drain small amounts of water off.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

No they are at the back you can't see them if you look from underneath the car... Well i didn't notice them while there... Makes no difference anyway it just means the top hole is at 17" and there's two within an inch lower again.

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I was under the impression that these holes were there to help stop the hydrolock.

When reading threads about this on both forums, it seems that if the flood is over the wheel arch intake, the engine can still breath through the 3 small holes until you get really deep and cover those holes too.

I just disconnect my pipe ( 2mins to do ) around October and reconnect for the summer.. 8)

Standard household gutter downpipe and bends fit almost perfectly if you want to try to re-route the intake but not much space without letting too much hot air in. I am looking for a 306 type air intake for mine - it fits by the front grill and loops down and up to the airbox, I think.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Edit' ginger..got in before me lol.

Yeah 306 pipework is a better setup - worth looking into if itl fit