Low level air intake and shallow water

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

azazel
1.8 16v

Re: Low level air intake and shallow water

Post by azazel »

car definately doesnt go as well after sucking water up. I suspect that there is a leak in the ducting after the turbo as there is a hissing noise like compressed air escaping. Cant see how the water problem could have done that though...
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Rolebama wrote:I wondered if just undoing the top of the air filter and using a bit of something to keep the filter in place would work.
There's 2 solutions I've used in the past. On weaker 406s I drilled some holes into the air pipe under the air filter box. The ICV on the V6 is around 1/2" diameter, so you don't need much in the way of holes to let the engine breathe air instead of water with the intake submerged. On my V6s I ended up removing the air pipe - got a nice induction roar too :oops: wouldn't recommend that on a non-V6, would sound awful.

If I needed to go through deep water in a 406 (or Xantia/C5...) I'd just lift the air filter box up and pop it off its mount and the wheelarch pipe, then pop it back after.

Remember, cars generally don't like swimming, even if they can breathe. I drove my bimmer through the Irish sea last weekend (was up in Cumbria, flood water was a bit deeper than I thought on the road) and despite the engine being fine and the door seals all thankfully keeping the water at bay, the bloody brakes still don't feel right, even after wheel cleaner and pressure washer time :evil:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
azazel
1.8 16v

Post by azazel »

Just bumping this again...

car definately doesnt go as well after sucking water up. I suspect that there is a leak in the ducting after the turbo as there is a hissing noise like compressed air escaping. Cant see how the water problem could have done that though...Anyone else had this problem after sucking water up in a flood?

Car is a bit gutless now. My mate recons its just the mass air sensor dirty.
azazel
1.8 16v

Post by azazel »

OK, seems my mate was right. The mass air flow sensor needed cleaning and there was error codes related to the mass air flow sensor on the ECU, which he cleared. I was suprised to see that the air filter was wet opposite the incoming pipe, even though I havent even been through a flood recently! Im guessing its just spray and splashing...
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

thanks for that info azazel.

month ago i was driving at a extreme rainy day and suddenly i bumped into a huge puddle of water,(repairs on the road were underway so road was like some Stallingrad scene)
I pressed pedal to the metal and just moments before diving into puddle ,turn the key off and slided like Coolio over it...engine saved (works only if puddle is long but not so wide ) :cheesy:
calvi36
1.8 16v

Post by calvi36 »

This works very, very well. I take no credit for the design, I just bought the bits, added some bling and put it together!

Owned:
3.0 V6 Estate D8- Killed by a drunk driver outside my home!
2.2 HDi Coupe Ariane Blue- Exported and now lives in Germany.
3.0 V6 Coupe D9 Polaris Blue- Sold to another Scotsman.
3.0 V6 Coupe D8 Polaris Blue- Still owned.
3.0 V6 Coupe D9 Pulsar Yellow- Still owned.
407 SW 2.0HDi Executive- Daily wagon, still owned.
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

Is this air intake enough for the car becose it looks much smaller hole than the regular round intake down there?
calvi36
1.8 16v

Post by calvi36 »

That picture is a tad deceiving Ares. The front end is about 8 inches wide by about 1 1/2 inches high, hopefully this pic will show it better, cat for scale!

Owned:
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

thanks mate,at first glance i thought that is really small hole.
calvi36
1.8 16v

Post by calvi36 »

It is from a Volvo S80, Air Cleaner Inlet Intake Duct part number 9186500, it costs about £15 brand new from a Volvo dealer in the UK. Not sure how much you would pay in Croatia. They are on ebay but from USA.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/99-00-01-02-0 ... 4d26f8c8e9
Owned:
HawkMoth1

Post by HawkMoth1 »

Same thing happened to my misses 2 weeks ago, lost the engine. This has got to be a Peugeot design fault, not climate change. If you claim off your insurance, you lose part if not all your no claims bonus, I argued with the ins co that if the council had cleaned the drains this wouldn't have happened (not cleaned for 20 years, country lanes) but tough she should not have tried to drive through. Luckily (I thought) I had no claims protection, works out you can only have 2 claims in 3 years with no claims protection, so when I transferred my policy onto an 03 4x4, my excess went from £250 to £700!! so much for no claims protection. If I had done the maths, I would not have put a claim in! really do the maths before you make a claim as it goes down as though you caused an accident.
Hawkmoth