406 non-runner

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

OllyRag
1.6 8v

Re: 406 non-runner

Post by OllyRag »

Crack them injector pipes at the injectors and spin it over on the starter. Should be fuel there straight away.
2.0 Hdi 110 LX Estate in Silver. Reg 1 Nov 2000 owned and driven from new.
My other car is a lorry.
kevinday284
1.8 8v

Post by kevinday284 »

had someone round fuel is there its the wiring from ecu to glow plug relay ecu tell the relay to keep turned on for about a minute off we got her started .
but when u turn key on the ecu not tell the glow relay to heat up glow plugs so we r doing away with relay and wiring in a spare switch in dashboard to heat up glow plugs its costing £50 quid but worth it to get car back on road .
madmadmax
2.0 Turbo

Post by madmadmax »

its not the glow plugs as the ambient temp is hi the ecu knows they are not needed so will not tell them to come on

don't open the injector pipes as the fuel jet that comes out will cut metal and then you and then keep going

check your tank strainer, is there any smoke when you atemp to start it if there is. what color is it?

have you done a manual bypass to see if its worth spending the £50 as it may be a dead end
kevinday284
1.8 8v

Post by kevinday284 »

hi madmadmax
how to I find out about the ambient temp and its like white smoke as im turning over to try to start
TheSongRemainsTheSame
1.8 16v

Post by TheSongRemainsTheSame »

Well it's a diesel; so it needs the following:

- Compression
- Fuel
- Enough power
- All the electronics to do their job

- How does it run when it starts up? Fine? Slow? Weird? You might have a bad injector.
- How's the fuel pressure?
- How's the battery? I don't know the inner workings of the HDI electronics, but it's quite common for certain systems to require a certain voltage to operate. For example injectors.
- An easy one - did you check your diesel filter?:)

- Can you check the glow plugs when it's colder, like in the middle of the night or something?
Land of the Free?
OllyRag
1.6 8v

Post by OllyRag »

If you are getting white smoke when turning over on the starter, that means fuel is getting into the cylinders.
White smoke usually indicates un burnt neat fuel. Make sure the engine is turning over quick enough first of all.
If it's turning over quick enough it sounds like low compression, which means the engine has not got enough compression to heat the air to burn the fuel (thats the white smoke)
These hdi engines are usually very good starters, mine stands for weeks at a time when I'm away and still goes on what seems like half a turn.
If it is relying on the glow plugs to start that is normally poor compression. As the previous poster said, the outside temp at the moment is too high to require the glow plugs to come on. You could run a temporary cable direct to the glow plug feed from the battery to see if the engine starts, but make sure the temp cable is thick as the current drawn to the plugs can be high, also dont hold the cable on with your fingers, connections can get HOT !!
2.0 Hdi 110 LX Estate in Silver. Reg 1 Nov 2000 owned and driven from new.
My other car is a lorry.
kevinday284
1.8 8v

Post by kevinday284 »

will try all that guys im very happy and thank you to everybody for the help and advice that you have given me :D :D :D :D

!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS AND GIRLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
madmadmax
2.0 Turbo

Post by madmadmax »

the glow plug only operate at a set temperature range

PRE-HEATING

As soon as ignition is switched on: The engine management control unit supplies the glow plugs and controls the lighting of the warning light on the instrument panel, depending on the coolant temperature.

NOTE : The warning light on the instrument panel only comes on during the pre-heating phase.

Coolant Temperature ... Approx Pre-Heating Time

-30°C ... 20 seconds
-10°C ... 5 seconds
0°C ... 0.5 seconds
+18°C ... 0 seconds (inoperative, in effect)

If the starter is not operated, when the warning light goes out, the glow plugs remain supplied for a maximum of 10 seconds.

During the starting phase, the glow plugs are supplied under the following conditions :

* The coolant temperature is below 20 degrees C
* The engine runs at more than 70 rpm for 0.2 second(s)

POST HEATING

Post-heating consists of prolonging the operation of the glow plugs for a maximum of 60 seconds from the end of the starting phase .

Parameters which will interrupt post-heating :

* Coolant temperature greater than 20 degrees C
* Flow injected greater than 35 mm3
* Engine speed above 2000 rpm
kevinday284
1.8 8v

Post by kevinday284 »

do u think madmadmax it poss be my temp senor that's faulty as is still not pre heating the glow plugs when its really cold and cheers for the information
madmadmax
2.0 Turbo

Post by madmadmax »

ye the temp sensor could be
kevinday284
1.8 8v

Post by kevinday284 »

do u know were the temp sensor is on a hdi or does anyone please
madmadmax
2.0 Turbo

Post by madmadmax »

there's two i think one for the gauge and one for the ecu one in the end over the gearbox it mite be green or blue plug
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

madmadmax wrote:there's two i think one for the gauge and one for the ecu one in the end over the gearbox it mite be green or blue plug
It's green.
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
kevinday284
1.8 8v

Post by kevinday284 »

thanks guys :)
kevinday284
1.8 8v

Post by kevinday284 »

got mew temp sensor coming will try that if not is off to the garage to see what they find :oops: just wish I could sort myself lets hope I do !!!!!!!!!!!