Question for 1996-1997 406 petrol owners

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

406owner2
2.0 16v

Question for 1996-1997 406 petrol owners

Post by 406owner2 »

Good day everyone.

I was just wondering if there is any 1996 and 1997 peugeot 406 petrol owners that can describe the sounds they are hearing when they switch on the ignition, better yet, if you know can tell what the sounds are that you hearing. I'm trying to establish a required noise i am hearing of 2-3 seconds every time i switch on the ignition, that is not heard now. There is the humming coming from the glove compartment, but then there is a 2-3 second sound also.
Harshan
2.2 16v

Re: Question for 1996-1997 406 petrol owners

Post by Harshan »

I had a one and the only audible sound was the buzzing sound of the petrol pump which loads the rail and then cuts off.

I've been following the other thread of water in fuel tank. First check whether you get supply on the fuel pump socket with a test lamp or volt meter. If not

1. Check the engine bay fuses not the bigger ones but the small fuses. Will elaborate with a diagram or pic when I sit in front of the pc

2. Check the double relay (brown colour one in side the ecu box) best is to find a replacement part and check. These two should sort out the issue.

If not your pump is gone I'm afraid.
----------------------------------------------------------------
2007, 407SW HDi 2.0l
1980, Volkswagen GolfD 1.6l
-----------------------------------
1996, 1.8(8v), SL ( The BEST Peugeot I've ever had. It kept me working on it, fixing it almost every day, I miss you)
406owner2
2.0 16v

Post by 406owner2 »

Thanks, it's just strange because since i first bought the car in 2006 i always had
an extra sound coming from the engine compartment upon ignition, as if it is deliberately doing something, like an "injection sound" for 2-3 seconds, always.

I'm receiving good help in my other thread thanks, it's just this sound i can't seem to nail down at the moment.

We got the pump working as on the other thread, we are discussing there.

Perhaps your engine differs slightly from mine, but there is definitely a second noise i know i'm supposed tot hear.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Maybe it's the idle control valve setting itself up :?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
406owner2
2.0 16v

Post by 406owner2 »

Perhaps you are right... does it need fuel inside it to function ? what i mean is to make a proper sound does it need fuel inside it, as mentioned when i pushed down that second relay i did not hear the 3 second sound... but did hear a grrr. (like a humm with a grrr)

Anyway, i'm thinking about pulling the pipe straight from the tank underneath the car right where it connect to the tank, to get the water/petrol out (if there's no one way valve built into it) i'm trying to think of all other ways possible to get fuel out, before running water/fuel through the pump and in addition like you mentioned it's not good for the pump to run for extended periods, (however we still are not even 100% sure if the pump actually works, although i can hear it humming)

Only way to find out i guess if i can get some suction on those pipes (i guess it's best if we discuss it further back at the other post i made) tomorrow we'll see what happens...