D8 timing belt and water pump (and possibly crank pulley)

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

munkymanmatt
1.8 16v

D8 timing belt and water pump (and possibly crank pulley)

Post by munkymanmatt »

Howdy all, I'm back to bug you with more questions :D

so it's time for a timing belt change and I'm doing the water pump too.
I've priced the parts at the dealers and they want €135 for the belt kit and 95 for the water pump, plus another 30 for the aux belt. Total is 220 euro for belt kit and water pump together, can't find the aux belt anywhere else so have to buy it off them.

Online on micksgarage I can find a gates timing belt kit that has a belt, guide pulley and tensioner pulley (I think this is everything I need) for 84 euro delivered, and water pumps ranging from 30 to 50 euro, lots of different brands there.

I've done a lot of searching and it seems like gates are the way to go if you're not going OEM for the belt kit. But I have no idea about the water pump. Would I be better off spending the extra 50 quid and getting it from the stealers?

here's a list of the pumps if anyone is interested in looking at what's there
http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx? ... er%20Pumps

looking at the pictures they all look like they would fit - I have had a look at the kb here and a few other places, I was considering doing the fitting myself, I'd love to have a go at it, but it's my only car so I can't be messing about with it too much, need it for work.

I've also contacted a local factors and they mentioned a dolz water pump for about 45 quid which they said was a good enough brand for the pumps, and recommended the gates kit.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the gates timing belt kit but I'm stumped for the water pump. Also looking in the crank pulley but not sure if it's worth doing that for preventative maintenance... My engine is very fuckin rattley sometimes for the first few minutes each morning though! Not sure whether that would be the crank pulley rattling or not... car would sound fine for the first minute and then suddenly sound like something is badly wrong! It goes between sounding normal then sounding like the cylinders are way out of sync... then after a minute back to normal, only when the engine is cold and even then only sometimes.

In fact I think I have a recording of it somewhere... I'll try and dig it out. It's hard to catch with my phone because sometimes it doesn't show up!
EDIT got it. the last 15 seconds or so are the clearest. Recorded from inside the cabin
https://soundcloud.com/munkymanmatt/peu ... ine-rattle
1996 1.9TD SVDT in China Blue
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: D8 timing belt and water pump (and possibly crank pulley

Post by jasper5 »

The Gates timing belt kit is definitely the one to buy, usually the OEM kit is Gates anyway, sometimes it's Dayco.

As for the water pump, I've used many First Line parts and had zero problems...the Quinten Hazell ones are usually alright too (sometimes you get OEM parts in the box.)

Don't know about the crank pulley, but any doubt, change it!
davew
2.0 16v

Post by davew »

yep gates belt kit is the one to get as for water pumps i've only ever used Quinten Hazell and have never had any problems, if the crank pulley is on the way out there is normally a load of rust coloured dust around the pulley.
dgt
1.8 16v

Post by dgt »

Howya Matt ;)

Gates/Contitech is what I'd go for myself. Kits cost £70 from the local motor factors. I use first line stats and pumps, no problem with them. There were 2 types, I had the cheaper £15 version thankfully :cheesy:

Whats up with the pulley? Is it damaged? I use a puller to remove mine, only way

As for the extra clatter on start, either the wax stat isn't connected or the glow plugs/relay is at fault. My old one used to wake the neighbours 8)
munkymanmatt
1.8 16v

Post by munkymanmatt »

dgt wrote:Howya Matt ;)

Gates/Contitech is what I'd go for myself. Kits cost £70 from the local motor factors. I use first line stats and pumps, no problem with them. There were 2 types, I had the cheaper £15 version thankfully :cheesy:

Whats up with the pulley? Is it damaged? I use a puller to remove mine, only way

As for the extra clatter on start, either the wax stat isn't connected or the glow plugs/relay is at fault. My old one used to wake the neighbours 8)
Long time no chat! sounds good to me! Going to order them in this week.
See I was thinking maybe that rattling was the pulley failing. But I'll have to check out the wax stat... suppose the easiest thing to do is just take a look at that arm that rests on the idling screws when I start from cold and see if it's on the cold idle screw! Funny thing about it though is that the car sounds normal on most cold starts and then sometimes a few minutes later it will get rattly for a minute and then go away, normally if I put my foot down!

Did I ever tell you what happened with the turbo? Turned out the bloody floor mat had caught the accelerator right on full whack for a second. Turbo was fine all along :oops: good to have a spare knocking about though
1996 1.9TD SVDT in China Blue