Air con repair

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

mkultr4
1.8 8v

Air con repair

Post by mkultr4 »

Hi

i have a 2000 w REG 406 D9 1.8 LX. which iv owned for about a week

the air con doesn't seem to be working, when set at 14 degrees with the air con switched on, the air coming out is not cold.
I have been quoted £89 pounds at a Peugeot garage and can find no cheaper local garages.
i have spotted at diy air con kit on eBay for £30 but im not sure how awkward a job this is.

the spec for the diy kit says For use with R-134a Systems only, Please check your vehicle before purchase,

i have no idea if this is the correct kit for my car
Is this a simple job?
is the problem definitely just a re-gas job?

see link below for diy air con kit

All help appreciated.

url for diy kit
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Hello chap!

Well, I'm affraid it is most likely that your condenser has failed (the big radiator at the front) it is very common on the D9 and at 6 to 7 years old.

I had to have mine changed last year.

It is pointless trying to regass it as it will just piss out again in minutes. Get it tested at an air con repair place just to make sure but budget for £300.00 for a new condenser including fitting and a regass, it is very very common.

Worth fixing though IMO, the A/C in a 406 is cool (if you pardon the pun).
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mkultr4
1.8 8v

Post by mkultr4 »

do you know how easy it is to replace? there seems to be a condenser on ebay for £90

Thanks
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

its fairly straight forward to change a condenser on a d8, should be the same for a d9 though, but before you jump to change the condenser, its best to get it regassed and pressure tested, as the gas (which is what R-134a is) evaporates over time, and will get to a stage where there is insufficient pressure to allow the compressor to run safely, so the BSi will not allow it to run, when you turn it on can you hear a loud click from the engine, and does the engine rev very slightly?
if its tested and is found that the condenser is leaking, then you will have to get the system evacuated of the gas, which will have to be done by whoever regass'es the car as its illegal to leave r-134a in an a/c system that is known to be leaking
you then need to unclip the radiator and tilt it forward CAREFULLY
undo the 2 metal pipes going into the condenser (the thin radiator)
this is where you need to be extremely careful but quick, as leaving the a/c open to the atmosphere allows moisture into the system which can destroy the compressor, lift out the condenser, fit the new one, and the metal pipes with new o-rings, push the radiator back CAREFULLY and clip it in place, then drive the car with the a/c switched OFF to the place which done the testing and tell them to regass it, but make sure you tell them that you have replaced the condenser and want the system vacuumed for at least 20 mins
job done :D
theres not much room, but it can be done without removing the radiator, just be glad you havent got an intercooler in the way aswell
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
mkultr4
1.8 8v

Post by mkultr4 »

thanks.

will get the re gas done.
have been quoted £89 by a peugeot dealer. im thinking this is a bit expensive which made me think about the diy kit from ebay.
should an independent garage be able to do the re gas for less than 90 quid?

thanks again
Welly

Post by Welly »

The FIRST thing anyone will do if your a/c is not working is test the pressure remaining in the system, if it's low then they will hook it up to a nitrogen bottle to test for leaks.

Only then if it passes the test will they vacuum the system and regass it.

My money's on the condenser.
Cars in my care:
mkultr4
1.8 8v

Post by mkultr4 »

when you turn it on can you hear a loud click from the engine, and does the engine rev very slightly?
yes. have just discovered a kind of lightswitch noise followed by a gurgle from the vents and a very small rev of engine.

does this mean somethings faulty?

Thanks
Welly

Post by Welly »

It sounds like whatever gas is left in there is just enough to enable the compressor to run (when it's warm enough outside, like today) it sounds daft but the gas can expand enough on a warm day to fool the pressure switch into thinking the system is full of enough gas.

The compressor is supposed to click in and out but DON'T run the system low on gas because it will wear the compressor.

You may be lucky and simply need a regass, but get it checked out fella.
Cars in my care:
mkultr4
1.8 8v

Post by mkultr4 »

cheers matey.

alan partridge is an old fave of mine.

its not the talk of the town, its the chat of the town
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

as the compressor is working, then you have some gas in the system, but not enough for the system to run efficiently
you have no leak as there is still gas in the system
get it regassed an you'll be laughing
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
HDiAndy
1.8 16v

Post by HDiAndy »

Guy's

do 406's have a tendancy for the pipes to corrode? my air cons gone also and I assumed it might be the same problem as on 306's (which do suffer with the pipes) just curious as to how common the compressor goes if it is a regular fault

cheers
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

nope, the 406 is usually more reliable than the 306 system as that suffers really badly with the corroded pipes, the 406 usually only has the condenser go wrong, as a lot of moisture gets trapped arround it and it rusts away, never known a compressor to go wrong on a 406
darrenwall
2.0 Turbo

Post by darrenwall »

my friend has got his own air conditioning company ( Cool Solution
- 029 20493111 if anybody in south wales needs any work he is very good and reasonably priced lol ) he refills my a/c every 3 or 4 months . he says the most common problem is the carbon seals in the compressor wear especially if u dont use it for a while and then when u put it on it damages the seal cos it dries out. the cheapest thing is to have the seals changed in the compressor and then make sure u use the a/c at least once a month.
mkultr4
1.8 8v

Post by mkultr4 »

Had it re gassed for £40 and it seemsto be ok

thanks a lot chaps
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

another happy customer :D