Snapped timing belt

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

fuvureju
1.8 16v

Snapped timing belt

Post by fuvureju »

Peugeot 406 1.9dt 1996 165k miles

Well
Today my timing belt snapped. It is 4 years old and 30k miles
(I went to have it changed a month ago with my mechanic but we discovered that the last garage to have swapped my timing belt had charged me for a new crank pulley but had never put it in as they had sheared the extraction bolts in the old crank pulley. And as I had not got those extra parts. We chose to delay the swap...what a costly decision!!!!)

Anyway I have had the ca from new and this is the first time it has really let me down. I don't want to be spending money on a second hand car which I don't know and would rather spend the money on fixing this one.

As I understand the valves may be bent ..,what other damage may have been done. (I had just started the car and literally just pulling forward about 1500 revs)

In repairing what other work should I get done? With the head off naturally the gasket gets replaced lus the inlet and exhaust valves....what else should I look at....since I am repairing I'd like to do some additional stuff to make this all worthwhile....

Yes I do intend to run it into the ground or when it gets bashed off the road...

Thanks for your help
binnzy
2.0 16v

Re: Snapped timing belt

Post by binnzy »

hi mine went and it didn't do much damage, It didn't bend any valves it broke the rockers so the head didn't need to be removed. I had to get new rockers and lifters and the job wasn't very hard I hope you are as lucky
If it doesn't fit you need a bigger hammer
fuvureju
1.8 16v

Post by fuvureju »

Thanks

My fingers are crossed
Just got to get it from Aberdeen to Edinburgh

However, whilst I have t off the road and fiddling fixing the engine does anyone have any good suggestions of what else I should look at and get replaced or done with regard to the engine to ensure I can have this running for another 100k?

I still enjoy her and have done a few cosmetic uogrades and done put feel the need for anything else!

Thanks
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

On an XUD engine it will likely damage the valves but not on the Hdi. 30k is a very low mileage for a belt to go, I would suspect that something had helped it on its way. I had one fail on a BX at 115k because I thought it had been change - but I was wrong. :frown:

Peter
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

On the HDi the rockers/cam followers are designed to break and save the engine. Unfortunately XUDs aren't the same, hopefully it's just valve damage and you'll be able to save the engine but you really need to check inside the engine before you make any decisions.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Might be cheaper to get a secondhand head.

Peter
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Before you go further with the job I suggest you try a couple of easy checks.

Firstly, take off the cam cover and check that the camshaft is still intact (I've seen them broken when the belt breaks)....leave off the cam cover for now....
Next, fit a new cambelt and turn the engine over using a spanner on the crank pulley and watch the valve springs to see if they return to their normal position, any that don't return to their normal position will indicate a bent valve on that cylinder.
If by chance it looks like the valve springs have all returned to their normal positions then refit the cam cover and start the car to see if it runs on all cylinders.

It's just possible that you may have got away without bending any valves....following the procedure I indicated will possibly save you removing the head...It's definitely worth a try...I've had this a couple of times in the past.

ps, when the timing belt cover has been removed check for any possible cause of the broken belt, such as a damaged or seized water pump or a damaged tensioner pulley or guide roller.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Yes, I failed to mention that, my camshaft broke into three pieces, fortunately I had a secondhand one in stock.

Peter
paul123
1.6 8v

Post by paul123 »

if you need a head or a complete engine I have one I will be breaking soon
fuvureju
1.8 16v

Post by fuvureju »

Hi

All thanks for the advice
The story has been quite a tour tour one n the end

Firstly the cam shaft was broken and valves bent

So I elected to find a fully refurbished cylinder head and do the swap

I have a mechanic at good rates so all set in order

However, th refurnished cylinder arrived and was duly fitted to fail within 2 minutes due to camshaft bucket pickup!!!
Of course this Haines before Xmas. The supplier claimed that it was contaminated oil as the cause but he did provide another reconditioned head!!

Alla well and this new head was fitted. All seemed to work well. But the brakes servo seems to not work
Fault traced to the vacuum not being produced because the outflow of the oil from the vacuum pump was blocked by a ball bearing that had been placed to block off the oil gallery of the cylinder head.

Clearly the wrong cylinder head was supplied.

Can anyone shed any light ?
Is it possible to fit the version of vacuum pump that was used for the cylinder head that I have?

Or am I faced with my third!!! Cylinder head swap.
Even though the mechanic prices are v competitive this is getting expensive!!!

Regards