loss of power .

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

warlock
1.8 8v

Re: loss of power .

Post by warlock »

hi ya and thankx for all the infoe ..I have already ordered and paid for a new maf but thankyou for the offer it should arrive today (tues 22nd) I will keep posted as to results ... :)
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

well xmas is all but a memory ..pity my power loss isn't .... :( I have received and changed the MAF and there is a deffernet change but still not as it should be and it still losses power on hills .I'm almost giving up now ....gonna put her on ramps when I get a chance nd check for any leaks ..on the turbo / vaccume side...MOT due next month have to concider weather the car is worth it if don't get this sorted .???
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Do you have access to a vacuum gauge? I bought a hand-held one from Amazon a while back for £15 and managed to sort my turbo issue with it ( partially blocked vacuum outlet )
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

no but ill have a look see if I can obtain one ...was wondering if maybe ive got a stuck open egr ...concidering blanking off ...might make difference ???
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

warlock wrote:no but ill have a look see if I can obtain one ...was wondering if maybe ive got a stuck open egr ...concidering blanking off ...might make difference ???
You can remove it and have a look - its easy to remove ( 2 x 10mm bolts ) but a git to put back on. Maybe slide a slim blanking plate in at the inlet manifold end to start with, its easier, will give you results but its not a permanent job until you blank the other end too.

Have you simply unplugged the vacuum pipe from the EGR? If there is no vacuum then the EGR should stay closed - don't forget to bung the end of the pipe with a screw or something...
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

ok thanks for that ill try the air pipe first and see what I get ..only thing concerns me is could the valve be stuck open .?? thus loosing pressure then the blanking method ould solve my prob ??
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

True, although if its stuck open then you could still have a leak at high revs as the pipes generally only have low pressure gas when ticking over or on the over-run.

If you want a permanent fix you will need to blank the EGR end too 8)

You may get an engine management light but it shouldn't affect the cars running - if it does then an EGR delete from your cars ECU is very reasonably priced.
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

I will have a good look today ..I have my own pp2000 so can check as I go ...im just hopeing its something obvious ..ie air leak as I'm seriously concidering getting rid ..
stevewalsh
2.0 16v

Post by stevewalsh »

Mine is a 2.0 90

Sounds the same prob I had a while ago, found EGR sticking open. blanked it off and the vac lines, runs like a dream without it

Steve
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

thanks for that steve ...sounds like that will be my next move ..did you blank both ends ??? or just the one ??
stevewalsh
2.0 16v

Post by stevewalsh »

It was a while ago, but I think I made a sheet metal plate the shape of a gasket where the EGR bolts on , then I blocked the vac lines with ball bearings, to look at it, you can't tell its been done, good for nosey mot inspectors etc. Mine is out here in France and the test is quite rigourous, but it sails through emmisions.

Steve
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

just out of interest do need to block the vacuum pipe if both ends egr are plated .seems to be pointless ?? or would this give a false reading ??was hopeing t carry out this today but my daughter thinks doing her shelves is more important ... :cry:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

It's still a good idea to block the vacuum pipe as it prevents anything downstream causing a vacuum 'leak' that might affect your turbo response and be an absolute bugger to trace.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

ok cool thankz for that ..now ive done the shelves ill try and get this done ..really need it sorted ...driving to daughters was a right pain ..just no power up hill or when I try to accelerate on the flat ..embarrassing is understatement ..
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

8) well finally got a really nice day ..so went for it only had 1mm ally plate but made up one for each end bit of instant Gasket put it all back together ..short spin up the a27 and .wow what a difference going up hill at 80 in 5th and still pulling infact had to over take didn't go any quicker as didn't want to take too much risk ..fingers crossed this has solved my worse problem ..ill up date in a couple of days when done some miles .. :P