406 HDI vacuum issue?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

senate

406 HDI vacuum issue?

Post by senate »

Hey guys!

Having some issues with my 2001 HDI Wagon:
For the last two weeks I had been intermittently hearing what I assumed to be a sticky break calliper coming from the passenger side of the car (the sound would go away when I would brake, and then resume), but yesterday I noticed quite a drop in power (usual boost is 18-20psi, it now only reads 0.5-1psi) and a very faint feeling brake pedal, but the brakes still work to a degree - I just need to make sure I'm paying attention! So my thinking is that what I thought was a sticky brake calliper was air escaping from somewhere!

I've check the solenoids on the firewall and all three are working, I then connected a vacuum gauge to the line going to the turbo, it holds a steady -2psi vacuum until braking, where with a fully pressed brake pedal it draws up to around -22psi, but no variation in vacuum pressure otherwise. There are no audible signs of a leak currently, and all lines running to and from the solenoids are fine.

I haven't had the engine light come on, and there haven't been any antipolution warnings either.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to turn next and thought I would ask here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar before getting a mechanic to chase the problem down.

EDIT: Since doing some more reading I'm starting to think it might be something as simple as the vacuum pump itself, as -2psi doesn't appear to be anywhere near enough vacuum produced, I believe it should be around 10psi? Plus the fact that everything it feeds is now not working at full capacity.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Tim.
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: 406 HDI vacuum issue?

Post by lozz »

Are the brakes ' spongey?.

Have you checked the caliper?.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Could be a loss of vacuum anywhere in the circuit, cheapest option first would be change the hoses and see if it cures it. Shouldn't be any more than £5 for the pipe from a motor factors.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
Milesh
1.6 8v

Post by Milesh »

Start with the pump as they should provide a fair bit more than that, Sounds like similar issues to me as the pump had been changed by the previous owner, Just do one thing at a time, I'm getting there slowly, bloody things
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, my vac pump is just under 1bar when idling, which is about 15psi.

If you have access to a vacuum gauge you can test all your vac pipes in and out of the solenoids etc to see if there are any issues....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.