v6 not running right

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

what to replace

plugs only
No votes
plugs and coil packs
No votes
just leave it its still going
No votes
phone the aa up
No votes

Total votes: 0

omega
3.0 24v

Re: v6 not running right

Post by omega »

OllieNZ wrote:The ones that I've had issues with both shorted out down inside the plug well. Can you get your hands on an ht lead tester?
didn't even know there was such a thing off to google
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

Milesh wrote:D8 V6's use a single coil pack on the front bank, the rear bank is tee'd off of the front bank with HT leads, I;d go with the plugs first and rear HT lead set as it saves removing the inlet again, the Front coil pack is dead simple to change and if you need one I have one off my old one which is or was OK
are the front and rear coil packs the same?
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

looked at the spark testers but don't they do the same job as sticking a spark plug in the end and see if you have a spark? or am I missing something.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

You mean the clear plastic type? That clips onto plug and htlead.
Thems old skool.

Have you checked the HT leads in the dark?
I found a nice faint mist of water from a spray bottle ..helps show up any arc's.
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

lozz wrote:You mean the clear plastic type? That clips onto plug and htlead.
Thems old skool.

Have you checked the HT leads in the dark?
I found a nice faint mist of water from a spray bottle ..helps show up any arc's.

yep tried the night test no wayward sparks detected
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

omega wrote:looked at the spark testers but don't they do the same job as sticking a spark plug in the end and see if you have a spark? or am I missing something.
The one we have at work delivers a vey high voltage down the lead. If the lead is isolated from ground you see a spark jump a gap in a window in the tester, if there's any leakage then you don't get a spark. To use it on a car you'd have to take the plugs out, refit the leads, unplug them at the coil end which would isolate them from ground and connect the positive lead of the tester to the coil end of the lead and the ground lead to the block. Hth
V6GTX
1.6 8v

Post by V6GTX »

An old thread I know and hope the original poster sorted the problem. Worth noting that when a coil on mine (an ES9J4S) misbehaved it didn't put the check engine light on initially. And it worked perfectly after switching the engine off and on again. Eventually after several days of good behaviour the misfire started and the EML did come on. If you're doing any work that involves the rear cylinders on the V6 there's so much stuff to dismantle to get at the plugs that it's worthwhile replacing both coils and plugs.
2000 V6 GTX Auto Saloon (ES9J4S) non-mux