I now know what a failed bottom pulley sounds like

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Essexdad
2.0 16v

Post by Essexdad »

Errrrr.....'fraid so,but got to say--Well(ton) impressed (sorry)
Kevin

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Well my car will only get one if it behaves itself :P
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Essexdad
2.0 16v

Post by Essexdad »

Well then,communicate with her,co-erce her (i do,like in ice/bad conditions.."come on babe,easy now,dont slip,let me ease you in,eassssy", like. They generally behave(like most women) if you treat them well and BUY TREATS for them .Gedit?
But dont sulk at them,they dont like it,and will throw tantrums (i think you are experiencing like behaviour).
Good luck !
Kevin

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Post by xplosiv »

welton, did you fix the turbo whistle?

if so what was it ?

THanks,

Andy
Welly

Post by Welly »

xplosiv wrote:welton, did you fix the turbo whistle?

if so what was it ?

THanks,

Andy
Well the turbo was inspected and all was well. So, I don't know. I had an idea that the hose on the compressor side was loose or leaking but aparently not.

I've heard lots of other HDi's drive past me in the street with the same whistle :|
Cars in my care:
Welly

Post by Welly »

Here's my lovely new Bottom Pulley, she sounds soooo quiet 8)

And, the crappy old one which nearly saw the death of the car, complete with Mahoosive drive belt :shock:

Cars in my care:
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

welton, you should try writting a letter of complaint to peugeot that they should foot the bill for these pulleys as they keep going wrong, you never know you may get something in return, thats what i would do
actually i wouldnt, coz i usually cant be arsed, but its just an idea
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
Welly

Post by Welly »

jameslxdt wrote:welton, you should try writting a letter of complaint to peugeot that they should foot the bill for these pulleys as they keep going wrong, you never know you may get something in return, thats what i would do
actually i wouldnt, coz i usually cant be arsed, but its just an idea
If I could get £1.00 of the £230.00 back then I would be happy.

*finds £1.00 in drawer*

WooHoo :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

Hi guy's am new to these forums ... been reading
quite a few posts all very informative and funny at times :lol: got a couple of questions along
the lines of what is being discussed ... got a 2000 406 hdi i bought about 7 months ago with
98k on it ... been reading about dreaded bottom pulley's... cambelt and idler 's have just been
done ... bottom pulley as far as i am aware has never been changed... now getting a noise which
i can only describe as sounding like a roller running dry coming from cambelt region also causes
a very slight vibration but clears above 1800 rpm... any ideas ???? My turbo whistles like a bitch
too ... mechanic i use said its normal for these ... any info much appreciated
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
Welly

Post by Welly »

Well, I could not believe how quiet my car went after having the pulley and belt changed.

Some of the noise comes from the belt itself and the rest comes from the pulley.

I thought my auxillary belt tensioner (the bouncy floaty one at the top) was knackered because it sounded dry etc. and I would squirt it with WD40 but the new belt sorted the noise out.

My pulley started ticking from cold and after long runs but when it got worse it got *really* bad and you knew instantly something was wrong. It was a clattery smacking metal noise which rose with the revs from about 1400 RPM+

I would say if it's not had one then get it done and ONLY use the Peugeot Genuine one.

I had to change mine and was pleased with the result, but it's a bit aof a wrench to do it when you've only got slight noises. If it's any help my pulley became very poorly within 1 week so they can 'Let go' :shock: I suppose if you were away on Holiday with the car then this would be a right pain.
Cars in my care:
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

Thanks Welton... the car is booked in to have this looked at
he was going to run it without altenator belt to see if noise went... shall get new pulley
and tell him to fit it at same time ... he's a decent guy i bought a dayco timing belt kit
of ebay for £50 and he fitted it for £85 which i thought was pretty good..
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
Malachy
2.2 16v

Post by Malachy »

turbo "whistle" is normally caused by a damaged compressor wheel,a bit of dirt got in the tirbu and bent a fin of too a chip out causing the air turbulance that causes the whistle.

its not a huge deal and will still work fine (if the damage is onlyminor) in fact most high milage dervs have it due to this. As long as you can put up wth the noise and the turbo boosts fine then its no big problem.
1996 306cab with a few mods
1997 Mercedes C230 Kompressor sport
Welly

Post by Welly »

Malachy wrote:turbo "whistle" is normally caused by a damaged compressor wheel,a bit of dirt got in the tirbu and bent a fin of too a chip out causing the air turbulance that causes the whistle.

its not a huge deal and will still work fine (if the damage is onlyminor) in fact most high milage dervs have it due to this. As long as you can put up wth the noise and the turbo boosts fine then its no big problem.
Oo-err :|
Cars in my care:
dervpower
2.2 16v

Post by dervpower »

recently mines developed a small rattle particulary when cold ive now become obsessed with my bottom pulley!!!!! is it normal to have a bit of play in them when you waggle it with a pry bar? whats the chances of the cambelt coming off? you say use genuine part only but the ones on ebay say there identical as peugeot use them?
Welly

Post by Welly »

dervpower wrote: you say use genuine part only but the ones on ebay say there identical as peugeot use them?
Well, if you look at this picture you will see 2 'slots' this is the damping range of the inner and outer pulley's. The new Peugeot ones have been modified to 3 slots thus sharing the damping load better, these new ones allegedly will never ever fail.

Maybe some of the cheap ones on ebay are re-manufactured units.

I don't know really, I think maybe a £59.00 ebay pulley might be made by a pattern manufacturer and won't last?

I never tried to waggle mine but I do know that the lugs on the slots were travelling right round to the stops (causing the smacking sound) showing that the inner damper was shot.

The risk with these pulleys is that if they separate the auxillary belt can get tangled up around the pulley and try to stop the engine turning and shreading the cambelt, or rip through the cover and attack the cam belt that way, if your dead lucky it will just throw the aux belt off although it's so long it's bound to get wound up behind something else and still shread the cambelt :|

I had to change mine because it suddenly went bad but if you think yours has never been changed then you will need to do it sooner or later anyway. I still can't believe how quiet my car is now.
Cars in my care: