Crankshaft pulley on 110 hdi.

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

annie10
2.0 16v

Crankshaft pulley on 110 hdi.

Post by annie10 »

after changing all the mounts the thing still vibrates but now i know why. the crank pulley has its rubber poking out in plaves and moves several mil while doing do..

going to use you tube etc but will i need anything else except a huge breaker bar and new pulley and nut?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Crankshaft pulley on 110 hdi.

Post by jasper5 »

annie10 wrote:after changing all the mounts the thing still vibrates but now i know why. the crank pulley has its rubber poking out in plaves and moves several mil while doing do..

going to use you tube etc but will i need anything else except a huge breaker bar and new pulley and nut?

Check your aux belt and the belt tensioner...any doubts about them and you can change them at the same time.

If you have trouble undoing the crank pulley bolt then I have a method of undoing them which is very easy to do but frightens people to death....Fit your breaker bar and socket to the bolt and position the breaker bar against the driveshaft or the floor...turn the key to shock the bolt loose....if you have a flywheel locking tool that will work as well.
annie10
2.0 16v

Post by annie10 »

I'm going to brave it and use your method. locking cam and crank is a pain without the tool. have a big breaker bar so might aswell use it.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

After years of marking a line on the pulley/block I have found that the Hdi id quite easy to get to if you look up from underneath the engine, shin a bright light up behind the starter and you can see it. I used a length of thick wire, about 1/4" and bent it to the required shape, didn't take long and worked a treat.

Peter
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

PeterN wrote:After years of marking a line on the pulley/block I have found that the Hdi id quite easy to get to if you look up from underneath the engine, shin a bright light up behind the starter and you can see it. I used a length of thick wire, about 1/4" and bent it to the required shape, didn't take long and worked a treat.

Peter

That won't help to lock the flywheel whilst undoing the crank pulley bolt.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

That's not difficult, put the socket on a long bar, rest it on the ground towards the front and blip the starter, that's what I have always done.

Peter
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

PeterN wrote:That's not difficult, put the socket on a long bar, rest it on the ground towards the front and blip the starter, that's what I have always done.

Peter

Yes, I already suggested that.
annie10
2.0 16v

Post by annie10 »

part should arrive today, going to spin it on starter to get it off. otherwise I've got to buy a locking tool.
annie10
2.0 16v

Post by annie10 »

saved me hours, thanks so so so much. took ten mins from start to finish and the car is now vastly improved. will post pic of old part , was nearly about to fail i think
annie10
2.0 16v

Post by annie10 »

on the auto gearbox you cant access the ring gear by removing a panel like the book says,
so i removed the starter motor and jammed a big pry bar on the ring gear.
tightened it up to very snug and then another 50 degrees or so. i guess about 200-250nm with lock thread attached as well.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Excellent :D

Well done :D
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Yep :D
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Sorry for the late post here as I see it is an old thread. I am struggling badly to remove the CS pulley bolt on my 2.0 110 HDi with auto gearbox.
Could I just ask - is the thread normal direction or left handed?
In an attempt to remove the bolt, assuming normal anti-clockwise loosening, I only succeeded in stripping the innards out of my electric impact wrench - which was brand new and bought for this job. Allegedly, it should have been capable of providing 450Nm torque but I have my doubts...
Dawned on me perhaps the bolt may be left threaded(?), hence the question.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I'm pretty certain its a standard thread but probably loctited. I doubt a standard impact wrench would move it, I know mine wouldn't. If you look back through the posts you will find the easiest way to remove it.

Peter
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Thanks Peter for the quick reply!
Yes, I did read the 'starter' method. Bit daunting but obviously works.
Should the ignition be disabled some way to stop the engine actually firing up?
Also, does the fact I have an automatic transmission have any bearing i.e. Should this method work still?