A Ford Mondeo question (it's a PSA engine - it's fine!)

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

nick
Site Admin

A Ford Mondeo question (it's a PSA engine - it's fine!)

Post by nick »

Right. Looking for some advice chaps and chapattis if possible?

Ive very recently picked up a 2.0 TDCi Mondeo, 60 plate. Its from a private sale, and I know the old dear that was selling it. The my car check thing shows it as the 161BHP engine.

Cars in pretty good nick apart form high miles (150,000) and not a lot of wear and tear. I’ve no history of the car but I’m the third owner. Apart from the old dear, the one before was a Tractor Sale’s and Service company (cant remember their name).

The bad weather we’ve had recently has thrown up a bit of a problem. Car starts fine, but when driving, it can feel ever so slightly lumpy at times. No biggie, but every now and then its like the fuel just gets cut from the engine for a millisecond, so if the foots down, it looses that drive then just picks back up again.

I first noticed it when it started to get cold - it wasn’t below freezing, but it happened between 2500 and about 3500 revs. I was entering the motorway. Nothing major, was just a small blip so thought nothing of it and thought it might just need a good run to clear it out. There were no warning lights on the dash or any other signs of an issue.

The next morning it hit -5°C early in the morning just as I was heading to work. The car started fine, tiny bit rough but it was cold so I expected that, went to drive out the street and it started doing the same thing at much lower revs. generally always when I had my foot on the accelerator to some degree. No warning lights again.

I was then sitting in traffic and the engine just cut out. It was still -3°C and I was only 10 minutes into the journey. Engine temp gauge still showed cold as well.

Got to work (some 30 miles later) and it done it intermittently on the run out. No warning signs, and nothing specific about my driving that triggers it. Its usually when I'm accelerating, or have my foot onto accelerator to some degree, but its cut out when stationary twice now.

Before I got the car it had a service, and I’m sure the fuel filter was done.

I get my fuel form a BP garage so I dont think theres any risk of contaminated or dirty fuel.

I’ve put a bottle of the Fuel System treatment stuff in to see if that made a difference but it hasn’t.

I’m wagering one of the following (in order of expensiveness to fix and pain in the assery :roll: ):

Dodgy Fuel Filter
EGR Valve
Crank Sensor
Injector

Now. I know this is a 406 Forum. But, seeing as this is one of these fancy PSA engines, I hope someone can give me a helping hand figuring out what the bloody hell is happening.

I hooked it up to a cheap ODBII sensor but there were no specific fault codes for this. The four that were there were:
B1130 - Light Switch Module
P1607 MIL Output Circuit
U0200 Lost comms with door control module B and
U0401 Invalid data received from ECM/PCM).

The MIL and Invalid data are potential candidates, but thats about as much information as letting me know bears can sh*t in woods.

Any ideas knowledgable ones? :lol:
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
Bailes1992

Re: A Ford Mondeo question (it's a PSA engine - it's fine!)

Post by Bailes1992 »

Get a cheap ELM327 and download ForScan. It's a Ford specific diagnostics tool and has been invaluable to me over the years. It's free to use however you have to purchase licences to use more advances features such as coding keys or injectors etc. Often Forscan will find codes standard OBD2 readers can't. I'd be tempted to clear the codes and see what reappears!

It sounds much like a sticky EGR to me. I know of a few DW10's in MK4 Mondeo's that have had an EGR stick wide open and refused to start. I would be tempted at that mileage to remove the inlet, clean it out (it's on the front of that engine so a piece of piss) and replace the EGR just as preventative maintenance.

Not sure what fuel system cleaner you've used but KwikFit sell a product called BG244 for £20 a can and it really is superb stuff! Saved me from a £1200 turbo replacement on my MK4 Mondeo!

Can I also recommend when you change your oil next to use a 5w30 or 5w40 meeting ACEA C3? Slightly thicker oil viscosity and HTHS will help with engine protection, increase oil pressure and should the engine consume some, it will protect the DPF being a mid-SAPS oil. I'm a huge fan of Mobil1 5w30 ESP, it has an incredibly low NOACK of 6% (evaporative loss of the oil) which really helps to minimise intake deposits.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

I hate to promote another site, but have a read here Nick.
I've got the 2 litre 140bhp lump in mine, they are cracking cars :)
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Talk Ford is also great. Was invaluable when I had my MK4. I'd probably have still had it up until I just started my new job if someone hadn't botched a flywheel change and render the engine scrap. :roll:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy