406 2.2 HDI - loss of power

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

RH406

406 2.2 HDI - loss of power

Post by RH406 »

Hi guys.

My 406 2.2 HDI '02 has lost all power, feels like turbo is gone dead). Been working 30-40 hours trying to find the problem with it without any luck at all.. It lost all power.. I use the car daily, starts and drives just fine except from lack of power.. 0-100 km/h is 25-30 sec :lol: Feels like it went into limp mode, but engine management warning was off in beginning.

Car runs smooth (with very little power) to around 3200rpm then stalls a bit, but will eventualy reach around 4100rpm and wont go any further, driving or not.

Car is mapped.

Lucky me, i got lots of spare used parts to troubleshoot with, swarpped engine 2-3 years ago because it keept blowing the head gasket.. stripped the old engine for parts :)

What i worked on so fare.

New pressure sensor in fuel rail. I read around 300bar at idle and 920'ish at load (hayne's says 200-1350bar??)
I changed injectors and did leak test, seems healthy.
Tried to another high pressure pump and even tried replacing pressure release valve.
Fuel filter replaced.
Camshaft sensor replaced with a spare i had.
Tried 3 different lift pumps.
MAF is faulty atm, died while troubleshooting. Connected or disconnected, no change in power while it worked. (but EML is on now)
I fittet a gauge to read intake turbo pressure manually.. i read 1.3 bar while driving/under load. Hoses gets hard when i rev.
I have tested all vacuum hoses and solenoid valves.. i swarped them around just in case. Enough sucsion to make it stick to my fingers, should be good?
Turbo actuator is moving without problem, and turbo sound ok.. though a bit less louder than normal.
EGR is blocked with plade.
I tried to dismount the exhaust at turbo manifoldto eliminate blocked cat. The DPF is removed and disabled.
I even tried to upload map hoping it just has lost/forgot something.

Nothing worked so fare.

I use Delphi diag tool do readouts.

Throttle reaches 99%, i guess its ok.
Fuel pressure idle 300bar and around 920bar rev/load.
Injector voltage 78-80V

Im not sure fuel pressure is high enought?? Thoughts?
Anything i missed?

Will try to locate camshaft sensor and clean it this weekend, and maybe do a flowtest from lift pump. Read it should do 1 litre in 30 sec.

Help my out.. really want to keep the car going for a few more years.. really enjoy driving it, would be a shame to scrap it allready.. 510.000km done and im sure engine has has alot more miles in it :)

Hope it makes sense what i write, i'm from Denmark and not used to write in english this much ;)
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: 406 2.2 HDI - loss of power

Post by Doggy »

Hi and welcome aboard. 8)

In my experience you won't get a 2.2 to run anything like normal without a good MAF, (unlike a 110 which generally will run more or less OK).
300 bar at idle is normal, max pressure is 1350 bar but 920 might well be consistent with one of the limp modes, (where injection quantity is limited to 30mg / cycle).
If you have PP2k you should be able to compare fuel pressure requested and actual values dynamically, (actual should follow the other +/- about 20-30 bar)
You can also compare MAP (turbo) pressure requested and actual, again they should more or less match.

It would be good to know how much boost you are generating, (the common maps give either 2200 or 2400 mbar absolute e.g. roughly 1200 or 1400 mbar above atmospheric pressure). Exceeding 2500 will give an overboost fault. I note you're measuring 1300 with your gauge, but what is the ecu reading via the MAP sensor?

Disconnecting the vacuum pipe form the turbo actuator should give maximum, (i.e. too much - be careful), boost.

Your English is fine, (much better than my attempts in any other language). :oops:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
RH406

Post by RH406 »

I got Peugeot Planet somewhere, it a crap chinese version and has alot of problems getting it working with my car. Will try connect it and do some more testing with actual values vs requested values.

Will a broken MAF feel like i lost 120 hp and lock rpm to around 4100-4200rpm? Normaly, when i get into limp mode, max rev. is around 2500 rpm.

I do sense alot more turbo noise when i disconnect the turbo actuator, but no different in power. Feels like ECU/fuel/electric problems more then exhaust/turbo problems.
RH406

Post by RH406 »

Went to the local car scrapyard and bought myself a used Siemens MAF sensor for around 30£/300DKR, fitted it right away and deleted all errors with my laptop delphi diag tool. Car runs perfect and acc like a brand new car.. damn i missed that feeling of 180HP - 400NM.. no wonder i keep going troubleshooting hehe :)

Im surpriced the MAF could make so much trouble. It was working (or i'd thought it was) at the beginning, and at some point troubleshooting it died and activated the EML.. maybe its just been on the edge of dying without sending numbers to ECU like its suppose too, but not dead enough too turn on EML.

Thnz Doggy, for point out how importent that MAF is.. :) Im not sure i would have bought another if you didnt point me that direction. Btw, it makes 1400 bar in fuel rail now.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Well done! Thanks for the update. 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)