The 70mm lower engine mount bush + gloplugs

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

GPW
1.6 8v

The 70mm lower engine mount bush + gloplugs

Post by GPW »

Ok so for a while my 1.9tdi engine has been a pain to start. In fact ever since a glowplug failed and I replaced them all for the proper 406 ones from Peugeot it always needs two 'warmup' waits until trying to start and even then it sometimes takes a 2nd crank.

The old ones were a different part number - actually for the 405 when I looked it up, for some reason Peugeot fitted them to my car but then 'uprated' them to the current ones - longer lasting but a but sad at starting. Recommendations on better glow-plugs gratefully received.

So anyway sometimes when it start there's occasionally a 'thonk' and while under the car I tested the 'resilience' if the big lower rear mount and it seemed a bit too easily moved to me. It also looks like a press in part and has the RHS driveshaft running through just above it too.

So the question is: How easy is it to press out that bush and press a new one in while leaving it on the car?, or does it have to be a 'driveshaft out, unbolt the whole bracket and take it to a press' type operation?
I have a puller set if that helps, although maybe not the right one..

Thanks in advance.
Average home mechanic in Cambridge, UK. Peugeot 406 1998 1.9 tdi GLX
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Re: The 70mm lower engine mount bush + gloplugs

Post by PhillipM »

It's a bit of a pain trying to do it under the car, but it is possible. Honestly it's a lot easier to just whip the shaft and bracket off most of the time though on the XU's
GPW
1.6 8v

Post by GPW »

Thanks Phil, found this thread:
http://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... sh#p243640
and I suspect you are right.

People always use these thread pullers etc but whenever I try it the thing is stuck like a bitch and doesn't move. the ability to use heat and hydraulics will I think make it possible.
Average home mechanic in Cambridge, UK. Peugeot 406 1998 1.9 tdi GLX
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Remove the driveshaft and the mounting block then get someone to press a new bush in...it's soooo much easier!

I've done dozens of these, believe me, I know!!
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

Pretty much, I've pushed the 65mm polybushes in before from underneath which is fairly easy, but the 70mm's are tricky because they're right up against the housing when you're trying to get them started.