Fuel (diesel) woes.

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

pugnut
1.8 16v

Re: Fuel (diesel) woes.

Post by pugnut »

I THINK I'VE SOLVED IT!!!

New crank sensor obtained. No feckin' joy🤬🤬🤬🤬

Oh well that eliminates THAT so whats left... bang the top of the lift pump with a hammer.

8 solid thwacks almost to the point of breaking the top of the pump open (I'm getting DESPERATE!!!!) Key in, turn on RururururuVROOOOOM chug chug chug chug chug for about 20 seconds then ... uuuurrggghhhh😵😵😵

Sounds like the cause has been identified.

ECP will have one ready for me Tuesday morn. And I'm off all day... watch this space->□
406 Exec 2.0 HDi 110
pugnut
1.8 16v

Post by pugnut »

Not good news I am afraid...

Pump arrived, fitted with much swearing, spillage of diesel, cuts, abrasions ... yada yada yada. I bought the cheap one listed by Euro car parts. Dimensionally correct in every detail ... except it has a spigot for the flow pipe that is too friggin' small!!! Bought a length of fuel pipe from Halfrauds, spliced, jubilee clipped and STILL THE FKN THING WON'T START.

Cam sensor maybe??? Before I could hoof the bugger out I gave it one more crank and the aforementioned buzzing resurfaces. This issue prevents the lift pump from starting. The buzz is now continuous! At least I could pinpoint which relay was buzzing!

It was not the two little black Cartier ones easily visible under the fuse box lid. The buzzing was coming from the inside of the fuse panel itself.

Quite easy to remove, just a 13mm nut after all the multi way plugs are undone. Separated it from the maxi fuses underneath, pulled the back off to reveal that the printed circuit board is so heavily soldered to the fuse sockets there aint no way that board is coming out. Worked out the fuse locations for the multi way pins, but far too.many connections left for me to diagnose further. Managed to pick.up an identical box out of a 307 at the local scrappy but the part numbers differ (although the fuse layout and fuse ratings are identical) bit reluctant to try it without knowing the difference. Might have to splash out £40 ish for a quality fleabay pre loved item from a 406.

The costs are rising, I just aint got time for this sh*t, the future of my Pug may be bleak but I just cant spend much more time on the old lady. Giving it a rest now til after xmas. Will update as and when...
406 Exec 2.0 HDi 110
pugnut
1.8 16v

Post by pugnut »

Cant use the 307 fuse box apparently, been told it MUST be an exact part number match. Ordered one off ebay which came today. Fitted in a flash, buzzing solved, lift pump now operating normally. STILL the bugger wont start. I am going to need a new battery with all the hammering it is getting.

What next then? Cam position sensor is a 3 wire jobby, centre wire brown, and supply wires either side, white and yellow. With ignition on and sensor removed but still plugged in I get 6.2V on the white wire and 12V on the centre pin brown wire dropping to 1.1V when I place a metal object near the sensor then recovering to 12V when object is removed. So... the cam sensor I have reason to believe is not faulty.

After the festive madness I shall be persisting further but that is where things lie thus far.
406 Exec 2.0 HDi 110
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Have you checked that fuel is actually being supplied to the filter, ie, taken off main supply pipe then turn on the ignition to see if fuel flows?
Have you tried some Easy Start?
pugnut
1.8 16v

Post by pugnut »

FIXED!!!!!!

no earth to ecu - loose earthing point on suspension housing. What a feckin' mare this has been. Many thanks to all who helped. If I have time I will link in the full lowdown on how to fix this QUICKLY. My main issue was with there apparently being no wiring diagrams available anywhere for my car as I have a Delphi BSM 5 engine fusebox and not the older 34 fuse unit so tracing wires and fault finding was practically impossible.

Once again thanks to all who helped and apoligies if you had to read all the previous crud just to get to here.

Aaaaaaaanndd reeeelax :)
406 Exec 2.0 HDi 110
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Congratulations. 8)

Persistence usually pays in the end. Well done for seeing it through.

Happy New Year. :cheesy:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

pugnut wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:17 pm My main issue was with there apparently being no wiring diagrams available anywhere for my car as I have a Delphi BSM 5 engine fusebox and not the older 34 fuse unit so tracing wires and fault finding was practically impossible.
I have the SEDRE disks, i can look up any wiring diagram if you give me the DAM (RPO) number (date of manufacture) of your car.

Congratulations with the fix! :cheesy:
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.