Auto to manual

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

WillNZ
2.0 16v

Auto to manual

Post by WillNZ »

Anyone here done an auto to manual conversion on a late model 2.0HDi (2003). Just wanting to know if any wiring mods need to be done apart from the start inhibitor on the auto selector. And any other pitfalls that may not be obvious?
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Auto to manual

Post by Doggy »

I couldn't tell you all the differences, but a manual will have a switch on the clutch pedal so the ecu 'knows' when it's depressed. Suspect the ecu map will be different - manual cars calculate which gear they're from engine & road speed, I believe the torque limits will vary depending on the ratio. Final drive ratio likely to be different, may affect speedometer accuracy.... and probably a few more I haven't thought of.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I know the BSI and engine ecu will throw a wobbly if they don't see the a/t ecu. Apparently there's a way to switch it off once the engine's started. I don't think the engine is physically different, I'm told the V6's are though. Other than that, I've heard that moderns are so over-complicated it's easier & cheaper to buy another car...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I saw a Ford conversion on the Autoshite Forum once, it was said that in a car's production the fact of whether it's an Auto or Manual is pivotal to the whole process, it's pretty much the first thing fitted (pedal box, gear selectors etc) so doing it afterwards is a BIG job and possibly a 'dashboard out' affair.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

steve_earwig wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:18 pm I know the BSI and engine ecu will throw a wobbly if they don't see the a/t ecu. Apparently there's a way to switch it off once the engine's started. I don't think the engine is physically different, I'm told the V6's are though. Other than that, I've heard that moderns are so over-complicated it's easier & cheaper to buy another car...
Steve,

I'm not 100% sure on this but our resident coupe breaker Ade Bingham has done a V6 auto to manual swap
& has sold the stuff for other people to do the conversion.

It's by no means straight forward & easy but is doable & the engines are the same.

ps: makes a nice change to post car related stuff to you :)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Pretty sure I read that on here, after I said they wouldn't be different :oops:

Cars, schmars. My interests seem to be heading in a different direction these days, the 406 was bad for my back so it had to go and what I'm driving now is about as interesting as a wet weekend in Margate. There's damn all available these days that I do find interesting, I've even taken to surveying car parks for anything I'd like to own and I'm coming up with a big fat zero.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Post by WillNZ »

The conversion does require the motor/gearbox be removed to replace the pedal cluster as the auto one does not have any brackets to fit the clutch pedal. Will look into the clutch pedal switch thingey as well as I hope to retain the cruise control.
I know that PP2000 has the setting for the auto box to be set to "missing". Hopefully this will sort out that issue of not seeing the auto ecu. As for the mapping in the ecu.. will try it once converted and see. I do have an ecu from a manual HDi 90 that supposedly was remapped to 110 spec (it did have an intercooler/uprated turbo fitted when I got it) so will use that if the existing ecu does not come to the party.
I also have a complete manual loom from that same car, but I wrecked it as it had multiple electrickey/wiring issues which I could not solve so suspect the loom is faulty somewhere as swapping the ecu/bsi/door switches etc with known good ones did not solve the issues of windows/mirrors/heater fan etc not working.
I have done many auto-manual conversions but not on peugeots. Flashing the ecu from auto-manual is "relatively" simple in those I have done, but, knowing peugeot and their weird way of cobbling things together, I am expecting things to go sideways...
If it does not work, it is off to china with it, but would be a pity as it has an immaculate body/leather interior etc. Just hate autos though and this one is toast (normal AL4 issues) and finding a good working AL4 box here is impossible.
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I probably have a selection of 2003-ish 110 HDi manual maps it it's any help. PM me your e-mail address if interested.

It's questionable whether finding a 'good' AL4 box anywhere was ever possible.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)