AL4 Auto Box - Anyone performed the Borg Warner Solenoids upgrade?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Husseinelhajj

Re: AL4 Auto Box - Anyone performed the Borg Warner Solenoids upgrade?

Post by Husseinelhajj »

Man oh man I have the VERY SAME PROBLEM AS YOURS!!! Also in the morning this happens with my 406 1.8 16V.. Here it's hard for me to flash ECUs and all so I think I'll just take care of it to reach the 3rd gear and then go on with my life :cheesy: and hopefully the problem doesn't develop into something bigger.. Unless there is a way to just change the solenoids, or changing them with the TCM too, I don't mind..
Did you solve the problem??
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Hello, excuse me for being a bit late to the party...

Here are the docs for the AL4: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NQM-6 ... 2otjwGLLOd

Other points:

* Sealed for life" is a vicious lie: change the oil. Use only Esso LT71141.

* Most of the oil is hiding in the torque converter and therefore can't be changed.

* There are 6 solenoids, they're about £30 a time, and there is a software update that makes use of new solenoids which have a higher spec than the originals.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Re: AL4 Auto Box - Anyone performed the Borg Warner Solenoids upgrade?q

Post by jlmacd »

Update - I finally took the plunge and did the job. Couldn’t stand it any longer and decided there was nothing to lose as the car was becoming almost undriveable.
Am pleased to report the outcome was a complete success and the gearbox now changes up/down smooth as silk.

I took the valve body off, stripped it down, cleaned it thoroughly, swapped out the two solenoids for the newer versions and reassembled, using a new cover gasket and inlet/outlet oil seals.
I had bought 20l of the correct ATF (Esso LT71141) with a view to try and do as complete a fluid flush as possible. However, having read that sometimes it is the metal particulate in the fluid that is contributing to stopping leakage, I decided to err on the side of caution. Instead of the intended five or six drain/refill operations, I settled on performing only three. By the third, what was coming out was beginning to be almost clear but still had some residual black particulate present, so I stopped at that.

I have been driving the car for a couple of weeks now and the difference is remarkable. I only wish I had done it two years ago!

I took numerous photos of the procedure (especially of the correct alignment of the manual valve on reassembly) which I would be happy to post if anyone feels they may be useful.

Most of the info was gleaned from several You Tube videos (watched countless times!) - just search for ‘AL4 gearbox repair’.But I must also say a big ‘thank you’ for the generous advice offered here - couldn’t have done it without you.

The car now has a new lease of life.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh, very well done sir! :cheesy:

I'd be interested in seeing that, if you have the time and the will then yes please, but I'm prepared to accept the auto is the unpopular option :frown:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.