Biting point adjustment

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

nickrose137
1.8 8v

Biting point adjustment

Post by nickrose137 »

I've bought a replacement 406 estate, to replace our old one that failed its MoT beyond economic repair. The "new" one is a 2000 D9 with the old 1.8 engine. Runs fine, long MoT, clean inside. One or two things not working, but fixable. But... the clutch biting point is close to the floor, which means that my short-legged wife can't drive it. At all. (In my defence, she was able to drive the previous one perfectly OK, which is why I searched high and low for another 406.)
So, is any adjustment possible so that my wife doesn't have to push the clutch pedal so far? Usual apologies if this has already been covered.
barbaren
1.8 16v

Re: Biting point adjustment

Post by barbaren »

nickrose137 wrote:I've bought a replacement 406 estate, to replace our old one that failed its MoT beyond economic repair. The "new" one is a 2000 D9 with the old 1.8 engine. Runs fine, long MoT, clean inside. One or two things not working, but fixable. But... the clutch biting point is close to the floor, which means that my short-legged wife can't drive it. At all. (In my defence, she was able to drive the previous one perfectly OK, which is why I searched high and low for another 406.)
So, is any adjustment possible so that my wife doesn't have to push the clutch pedal so far? Usual apologies if this has already been covered.
Bleed the clutch
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Re: Biting point adjustment

Post by WillNZ »

Lift the pedal up by hand, this will sometimes restore its biting point. I have one that does this occasionally, pedal goes low to the floor, I just hook my foot under the pedal and lift it, brings it back to normal and lasts for weeks before it gets iffy and does it again.

If that does not work, bleed it as suggested above..
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy: