disconnecting that naughty EGR

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

bigknickers
1.8 16v

disconnecting that naughty EGR

Post by bigknickers »

Hello gang, I'd like to disconnect the EGR on my 52 plate 110 hdi, I understand I only have to pull off a vacuum pipe from a solenoid........YIPPEE........however, I'm an absolute *wat with car mechanicals...................can anyone spoon feed me?

On a seperate note, I understand the MOT test got harder in May 2018.....does that affect us sensible people driving the greatest car on the planet?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: disconnecting that naughty EGR

Post by GingerMagic »

Morning :cheesy:

Have a look on top of your engine, towards the back, and you will see a round metal thing tucked away - find the little black pipe that goes into this and pull it off - bung a screw in the end of the pipe 8)
If you don't bung this pipe then you'll lose vacuum which will affect the turbo...

This will only have positive results come MOT time as your emissions should be lower ( if you've driven it with enthusiasm )- any scaremongering about diesels doesn't include the 406 as it's pre-Euro5 legislation.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
bigknickers
1.8 16v

Post by bigknickers »

Good man Ging..................gonna have a look in a sec!
So, it seems, if a person wants a diesel car..................they should only have an old one!! being a car snob is a very costly exercise
bigknickers
1.8 16v

Post by bigknickers »

Ging...................I'm scared! there's lots of round bits!!!!.....do you mean the black round bit that's very close to the r/h injector which seems to connect to a big ol pipe that comes from a small radiator thing (intercooler??) at the front. If this is the round thing you mention, it appears to have a tiny black plastic pipe that goes to a solenoid? on the firewall bulkhead (there are three solenoids together n this one is the r/h one)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I think so...
The EGR is a big solid metal lump like a UFO, and is directly above the turbo at the back, should only be a thin black pipe at the bottom of it, but yes, the black pipe leads to the middle solenoid...

It looks like this...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3303396806
bigknickers
1.8 16v

Post by bigknickers »

Pheeeewey............that wasn't what I was looking at! (told you I was a *wat), right, got the sucker, so cut the pipe n bung a screw up the end that leads back to that solenoid?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Yes, but don't cut the pipe - just pull it off...

An EGR blank is best for the long term, but just bunging the pipe is a good way to disable it short term ( 5 years on my wife's Picasso..)
bigknickers
1.8 16v

Post by bigknickers »

Many thanks Ging.....................pipe bunged!.............let's face it, if it lasts for 5 years, that'll be longer than the supply of parts (especially comm 2000units), they must be the most replaced part (apart from the tyres)