Reliability

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wag
1.8 16v

Reliability

Post by Wag »

The Peugeot diesel has always been hailed as one of the best diesels ever, well that's what I was always led to believe, and I've had a few.

How is it some old 406's run for hundreds of thousands of miles with no major engine worries and others, like mine, do 106000 miles and need a head gasket?

Is there a common theme?
barbaren
1.8 16v

Re: Reliability

Post by barbaren »

Wag wrote:The Peugeot diesel has always been hailed as one of the best diesels ever, well that's what I was always led to believe, and I've had a few.

How is it some old 406's run for hundreds of thousands of miles with no major engine worries and others, like mine, do 106000 miles and need a head gasket?

Is there a common theme?
The exception that proves the rule.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I have come across a few cases of head gasket but as mentioned they are few and far between. I have only had one and have bought quite a number of 406's for myself and friends. The 'one' was that very nice one I bought earlier this year for very little money, we ran it for sometime but I had to top the water up occasionally, it wasn't until I made an effort to find out why, I discovered bubbles in the coolant. Fortunately I still managed to sell the car for more than I paid for it as the buyer decided it was good enough to spend the money on.

XUD gaskets were not so good and would usually fail at about 150k, I had two go on XM's but the replacement laminated steel gaskets seemed to cure that.

We have had a couple of 406's with well over 200k on them, the last one, my wife's failed on the servo unit, normally not a difficult job except on a 406 so sadly we wrote if off although I got 250 pounds for it as 'spares or repair' but it had done 212k and served us well. We are 406 less now after many years but I still consider them one of the best cars Peugeot ever made.

We have replaced them with the steel sprung C5's they are an absolutely brilliant car, the most comfortable ride I have had in years.

Peter
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

Wag wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:29 am How is it some old 406's run for hundreds of thousands of miles with no major engine worries and others, like mine, do 106000 miles and need a head gasket?
Mine has now 627 k kms (390 k miles) and has never needed a new head gasket.
Your 106 k seems really quick. It was not chip-tuned?
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
Wag
1.8 16v

Post by Wag »

There seems no rational explanation why heads blow. Mine was spitting water from the header tank and still held pressure when cold - classic head gasket symptom. Wasn't chipped or tuned to my knowledge.

As it's pretty solid it's in the process of getting the head skimmed - sons in the trade - so it's a bit cheaper for me, if he wasn't I expect I'd have probably scrapped it due to labour costs.

I've posed the question of what to have next and yes, most point to the C5 steel sprung version. Will probably go for one in due course.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

That does seem exceptionally unlucky. :(
I took my 406 HDi 90 to 205k and my 407 2.2 HDi has just rolled past 210k.

The only other variable I can thin of is how it's been treated by previous owners -- perhaps in particular when it was new?

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

From memory there's no 'low coolant' warning light on these cars?

Couple that with a Black-coloured expansion tank :roll: you're less likely to notice the coolant being too low....could overheat and knacker the gasket.

Also the quality of the coolant might pay a part in protecting (or eroding) the gasket where it makes contact with the water ways.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Wag
1.8 16v

Post by Wag »

Yeah, the low coolant warning light is on the right of the dash display to the upper area. I only noticed it as it was dark outside and I saw the reflection when it came on: the icon was obscured by the steering wheel.
Fully agree re state of the coolant, I should have changed it when I got the car but as usual things like that tend to drift.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

I believe mine was finished off by the extra stress of towing,

All head gaskets will fail at some point.

Some cars are more prone than others but in the trade the Peugeot 2.0 hdi has quite a reputation
Despite what Peter thinks.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I am only going on my own experience, I ran my first one to 246k with no engine problems but was written off by water getting into the electrics. Our last one had done 212k, that was sold because of a failed brake servo requiring to much work.

I have been involved with six or more 406's most of which have been running for quite a number of years and miles without failure. I must admit I have seen a couple when I have been searching for replacement cars, but compared with the number I have looked at its still a very small percentage - particularly when compared to XUD fails.

Peter