Clunk clunk clunk when turning... New drive shaft time?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

pugnut
1.8 16v

Clunk clunk clunk when turning... New drive shaft time?

Post by pugnut »

Greetings Pug lovers. My D9 has just passed its MOT with very minor advisories 8) BUT has developed a clunk clunk clunk noise from the front drivers side wheel. Only happens when I turn the steering wheel. Not noticed any abnormal handling or vibration so am thinking maybe it's a cv joint gawn orft.

Haven't lifted the wheel to check for play yet, plus it's November and not really the sort of weather for worling on cars outside, so, im the meanwhile, just thought it might be worth asking youse guys what you think?

Thanks in advance all.

Rob
406 Exec 2.0 HDi 110
barbaren
1.8 16v

Re: Clunk clunk clunk when turning... New drive shaft time?

Post by barbaren »

pugnut wrote:Greetings Pug lovers. My D9 has just passed its MOT with very minor advisories 8) BUT has developed a clunk clunk clunk noise from the front drivers side wheel. Only happens when I turn the steering wheel. Not noticed any abnormal handling or vibration so am thinking maybe it's a cv joint gawn orft.

Haven't lifted the wheel to check for play yet, plus it's November and not really the sort of weather for worling on cars outside, so, im the meanwhile, just thought it might be worth asking youse guys what you think?

Thanks in advance all.

Rob
It is a very good guess. It could however also be top mount bearing. If the cv joint gaiter is’nt torn it is most likely the the top mount bearing. You need to remove the shock in order to check. It is often an overseen problem simple because it is very timconsuming to do the repair.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

If you jack up both front wheels and work the steering while listening to it, you'll soon know if it's the strut top bearings.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

If your strut top bearings are gone & your on original springs
BEWARE
They snap for fun :roll:

They are a crap design, my car when purchased had two replacement one's
That was 70 k ago & 65 k at the time, I've replaced both of them once & yes greased them liberaly
Now they need replacement again now on 132k.

As I said, crap design.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It's an epidemic, most modern's have a problem with broken springs, if you look on most car forums you'll find them. They always used to last forever (just gradually self-lowering) but I think it's the use of different materials and maybe they're smaller to be lighter. However, PSA don't do themselves any favours because, while a lot of manufacturers design the seats to catch broken springs, PSA don't and they can end up taking out ABS sensors, drive shaft boots and tyres. Saying that though, all of the 406 broken springs on here seem to happen when the car's either parked or being driven slowly.

Did you check the wheel bolts? :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.