2.0 HDi 110hp Bad cold start

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

ModestasL

2.0 HDi 110hp Bad cold start

Post by ModestasL »

Hello,

My Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi 110hp with BOSCH fuel system have really bad start when outside temp. is lower than 0°C.
In summer when one of my four glow plugs cracked and smashed my engine i replace all engine. And now when winter came i have issues with cold start. All glow plugs is new. Bosch. Injectors are from old engine which i have no problem with cold start in last winter. When i start the engine i have a lot of white smoke from exhaust it's like non-combustible fuel or something. Also exhaust gives a bad smell. I tested my injectors on inspections bench and one of four was leaking. So i changed that one with used one also tested and +- good. But i have the same cold start problem. So maybe someone have an advise? :)

Start in -1°C. This time no white smoke. Just a little.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pnygtBIxS8
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: 2.0 HDi 110hp Bad cold start

Post by PeterN »

Glow plugs don't normally do much on Hdi engines - unless you live in Siberia! Without seeing it I would suggest that the starter is not turning the engine over fast enough, white smoke is unburnt fuel so the fueling is OK so I would suspect either the battery or starter motor.

Try jumping it from another car with your battery still connected, if it starts OK probably your battery, if not the starter.

Peter
ModestasL

Post by ModestasL »

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply.
Hm. Starter works pretty well i think because last winter in -20C it works much slower compare to these days and the car started pretty good. So the battery powering the starter well i think. I tried to check the glow plugs ohm with cheap multimeter. All GP showing the result of 5,8-6 Ohms. Shouldn't it show between 1 or 2 ohms for maximum result? New GP was changed about four months ago.. I will try to disconnect the temp. sensor to see the difference of starting.. Also like i said exhaust have bad smell. And not only exhaust. This smell comes from engine somewhere. I unplugged the vacuum hose of egr and smell disappear from engine and now coming only from exhaust.. Waiting for more opinion's! Thanks!
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hmmm...

So there may be a possibility your EGR valve was leaking, but now it isn't because you have unplugged the vacuum supply ( I hope you sealed the pipe?)
This may have affected your cold start, but after a recent post about a member with poor hot starting I would suggest you unplug the MAF sensor - it's the flat grey connector just behind the air filter box.
If this sensor is faulty then the ECU is getting false readings for the outside air temperature and subsequently not providing enough fuel to start the car.

I'm not a mechanic, but unplugging the MAF sensor is free to do, and not too expensive to replace.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

ModestasL wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:41 pm All GP showing the result of 5,8-6 Ohms. Shouldn't it show between 1 or 2 ohms for maximum result? New GP was changed about four months ago.
Yes, it should be around 1 ohms. But many cheap multimeters cannot reliably measure such low values. If you want to be sure that the glow plugs work, you can remove them and connect them to a 12V volt battery using jump starter cables. When powered, the tip will become red hot after a few seconds. Make sure not to hold the glow plug in your hand, it will become very hot, so clamp it in a vise while testing. Also be very careful with the jump starter cables not to cause short-circuit.

Note that around 0 °C the glow plugs are absolotely not necessary to start the engine (although they do help to reduce emissions).
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

If they are all reading about the same they are probably OK. As frog says its difficult to get an accurate reading at that lower resistance, often because you can't get a good enough connection.

Peter