2001 2.2 hdi poor hot start

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

toomanybikes

2001 2.2 hdi poor hot start

Post by toomanybikes »

Hi all, I thought I was registered her but I must have forgot log in, so not quite a new member.
Anyway I would be most grateful of any help.
145,000 mls owned for eight years regularly looked after but now its causing me concern.
It starts fine from cold and drives normally but recently, after a hot soak it has started taking a little extra cranking to start.
I have heard long cranking is a sign the pump is going but I would have thought this would be at any temperature ?
Iam sure I can see a slight trace of brass coloured powder in the bottom of the fuel bowl, or Iam just being paranoid.
It recently passed mot smoke test, as it has DEF pass level is 0.5 this is running at 0.1
I do have Peugeot planet.
Any advice would be grateful.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: 2001 2.2 hdi poor hot start

Post by PeterN »

There is an pressure regulator on the back of the HP diesel pump, I have had poor hot starting on a C5 caused by this, in fact mine got almost impossible to start until it cooled down.

Its quite easy to change on the 2.0. but haven't done one on the 2.2 although I believe its the same regulator. On the 2.0. you have to remove the fuel filter and its held on with two screws, either torx or philips and one plug to disconnect then just pulls out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: 2001 2.2 hdi poor hot start

Post by GingerMagic »

To echo what Peter said - if you undo the 2 10mm bolts that hold the fuel filter on then you can simply flip it over to allow access to the fuel pressure regulator.
It is a different regulator on a 2.2hdi - but the fitting is the same.

May I suggest a couple of things to also try?
Use Peugeot Planet to check the injector parameters - they work in pairs so if one reads -0.6 then the one next to it should read +0.6 - however if one is one a 2.0 measurement it may be causing issues.
A few tank fulls of good quality diesel will help, along with some spirited driving..!

Also, Peugeot Planet can measure your MAF sensor readings - if it is reading too high then it could do with being replaced ( although I would recommend a replacement every few years anyway )
Keep your eye out for discount weekends at a local motor factors - should be able to pick up a new genuine MAF sensor for around £75.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.