Peugeot 406 coupe 3.0 v6 HELP!?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

wazzimombler

Peugeot 406 coupe 3.0 v6 HELP!?

Post by wazzimombler »

Hello I was wondering if anyone can please help! My fathers Peugeot 406 coupe 3.0 v6 made a strange noise on startup so was immediately turned off and now wont start. Two mechanic friends have checked it together and they have said that it looks like the cam belt tensioner has failed causing the belt to go slack and the cams jumping out of alignment, meaning the valves are not opening and closing at the right time and causing there to be no compression! Does anyone have any advice on what to do?! Thank you! - Will
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Peugeot 406 coupe 3.0 v6 HELP!?

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there. Stop trying to start it! This could be bad I'm afraid, I'm surprised these "mechanics" didn't say anything. It depends how far the cam belt has slipped, it could be just a few teeth and the ecu is seeing the cam/crank sensor mismatch and stopping the engine firing or it could be that the belt has slipped a lot and wrecked the valve gear. You really need to know what's going on inside the engine before you even think about turning it.

I don't know if the V6 breaks followers like an HDi, I don't think so. Maybe it would be best to pull the cam belt covers and see if you can tell how far it's gone, if you need to turn it at all do it by hand but stop immediately if any resistance is felt - this will be the pistons hitting the valves!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: Peugeot 406 coupe 3.0 v6 HELP!?

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

What Steve said,

The only thing I will add is unless your
1. Handy with the spanners
2. Love the car & have deep pockets

This might be the end, you need to strip it down & reassemble it as though you we're fitting a new cambelt & time
it up correctly ( obviously fitting a new tensioner first if it is broken ) just so you can do a compression test to check
If all is well with the engine.
I would advise fitting a new cambelt whilst your at it if it's anything past five years old.

But this is where it can get expensive, most garages with charge £750 + for a cambelt kit fitted inc all the tensioners,
pulleys & water pump.

But you need to find out if the engine is ok before spending that kind of money & I reckon probably £300 - 400 min
in labour just to find out if the engine is ok.

Sorry but there's no easy way to check.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol: